help a newb with his recent purchase

guitarking135

Feb 14, 2009
I recently bought a kdx200 he told me its an 89 but the frame I think says 84 not sure but he told me that it starts but for the life of me I can't get it started. It doesn't kick it just goes up and down every once in a while it will catch and get compression there but most the time it just doesn't do anything when it catches it kinda puts a little like it wants to start. Any one have any Ideas? I know theres some other things to fix too but getting it running is my first priority

fusion

Jan 25, 2009
welcome to the forums. If it is a 1989 the 10th character on the VIN # will be K if its a 1984 it will be E and 1989 is the first year for water cooled. Now your problem with it not starting sounds like maybe not enough compression, imo i would run a compression test, stock compression should be between 119-185 PSI and if that's good while you have the plug out put a new one in, 2-strokes are bad about not wanted to start because the spark plug went bad.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Nah, if the kickstarter goes straight down without any pressure at all most of the time, but once in a while catches and feels normal (that's what I think you're saying), then the little spring in the kick start assembly is probably worn and it is not engaging the ratchet gear to the spur gear. This problem is quite common, and the fix is to replace the spring. Not the big spring out front, but the small spring in the back that engages the two gears together. You may as well replace the ratchet and spur gear while you're in there, as they could be the culprit as well if they are worn. I had the same problem with my 89 when I got it. Plenty of info around the forums on this.

In the mean time, the easy way to get it started is to bump start. Make sure the carb is clean and the plug is new, and roll it off.

Like Fusion said, 89 was the first year for the watercooled KDX, so if you have radiators on that bike it is at least an 89. Post up the frame number from the steering stem and we can check for you.

J>

guitarking135

Feb 14, 2009
ok yea its got to be older cause there is no radiator or its missing them the last two numbers on the what I assume is the vin on the fram by the handle bars is 84. That spring your talking about is there a diy on here that would show me what it is I'm looking for?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
start it rollin down a hill and hit 2nd or 3rd and drop the clutch ;).

Go ahead and post that entire vin and we can tell you what year it is for sure. Also, if you want to upload a pic or two that would help. I don't know of a DIY on that kickstart spring, but I'll try and look up a diagram for you.

J.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008

92081a is the spring in question,

13078 is the ratchet gear

59051a is the spur

Any one of those three being worn could cause your issue with the kickstarter.

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
I pulled my whole shaft out, rear spring and all... replaced with with a used, but not slipping, one and mine still slips. Wonder if I should replace the front spring as well?

guitarking135

Feb 14, 2009
I finally got it to start its just kinda a pain but it started my what I assume is the vin the number imprinted on the frame

jkadxnc15ga003084

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Your bike would be a 1986 KDX200. I'd love to see some pictures! Air cooled model, with no power valve assembly. Very simplistic and easy to work on. Pretty dated as far as suspension and such, but with a little work they are very enjoyable machines. You will find most of the parts you might need available through bikebandit.com.

You may want to pull that flywheel cover and check out the stator condition. They are bad to toss the magnets. Make sure everything is secure in there now and it could save you some big bucks later on. You can clean it up and use some epoxy if needed to make sure it's all secure.

J.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
theckeler said:
I pulled my whole shaft out, rear spring and all... replaced with with a used, but not slipping, one and mine still slips. Wonder if I should replace the front spring as well?

The front spring is to return the kicker. If the lever springs back up correctly after being depressed then there should not be any problem with that spring. I'd pull it back out again and check the parts for wear, and proper placement of all springs and washers. You can also stretch that small spring in the back a bit to help mesh the gears together.

fusion

Jan 25, 2009

ya like he said, i miss under stood your first post. I was just having the same problem with mine, I had to move the kick start down really slow for it to catch then kick, but now with a new spring it catches every time.

guitarking135

Feb 14, 2009
Ok so what kind of suspension upgrades are out there for it? Can I replace the rear with something form a newer bike so I can lower it down some. Its a little to tall for me right now.

guitarking135

Feb 14, 2009
also I have no grip with my rear breaks. what do I need to look at the wing nut to tighten them wont move at all

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
fusion said:
ya like he said, i miss under stood your first post. I was just having the same problem with mine, I had to move the kick start down really slow for it to catch then kick, but now with a new spring it catches every time.

same issue w/ my 95, maybe I'll check it out then

guitarking135

Feb 14, 2009
ok so I pulled my rear brake apart and there was a crumpled up thin peice of metal it looks like it would have been a band or something that was around the inside of the hub should that have been then or what?

guitarking135

Feb 14, 2009
so I think I may need a new rear hub. What info do you guys have the rear wheels what other years can I use? or a place to find one for cheap?

Last edited:

fusion

Jan 25, 2009
guitarking135 said:
so I think I may need a new rear hub. What info do you guys have the rear wheels what other years can I use? or a place to find one for cheap?

Your bike is a 1986 KDX 200 C1, they made the C series from 1986 to 1988 (C1,C2,C3). I looked up part number and only those three years had the same rear hub. Now to answer your other question I would look on eBay, Craigslist, and post "WTB Rear Hub" in the classified forums.

Edit: I want to see some pictures of your bike too.

guitarking135

Feb 14, 2009
Ok I have a question. Well two one is what can I replace the front master cylinder with? The other is when I took my rear wheel apart I found this piece of crumpled up metal it looks like it could have been a sleeve or something in the hub. Is that something that should be in there? Cause my pads are good they just arent gripping in the hub. Could this be why?

guitarking135

Feb 14, 2009
I'm thinking about putting this engine into a kx125 frame. How hard is that to do. Is it pretty straight forward and easy? or is there a lot of mods that have to be done. The 200 runs great but its too tall. would the 125 frame Idea give me a smaller sized bike with the power of the 200?

bigbolx

Dec 25, 2007
julien_d said:
Your bike would be a 1986 KDX200. Air cooled model, with no power valve assembly. .

C1,2+3s had KIPS valves!!! you must be thinking of the 85's which also had drum brake front ends.

bigbolx

Dec 25, 2007
you could try looking for a rear hub from a 81/82 KX125 (ends of the spokes are different) or try an earlyer KDX200 hub.

i remember jeff fredette building a disc rear end C model which used 86 KX125 parts,

you could try to transplant the whole braking system from the E model KDX200(89-94) ie: brakecaliper,mounting bracket,hose,master cylinder and rear wheel.
you would have to weld mounting points onto frame for master cylinder and just use the 86 brake pedal.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…