HELP!!! Bike Keeps Ruining Spark Plugs!

chad_07

Jul 5, 2007
I just got a Yamaha YZ125 about 2 weeks ago and I have already gone through 2 spark plugs! I am not too familar with dirt bike motors, especially 2-stroke motors. I know 2-strokes like to eat plugs fast, but I don't think it should be that fast. Give me as much info as you can! Thanks!!!!

divineaspex

Jun 3, 2007
Same here, I just ruined a plug today, but I think it was my fault. Tell me if this sounds normal.......I was riding on silver lake trail in Tallahassee, Fl.......and all of a sudden I run into a cliff thats about 7 feet high, with a little lake below it.......so I panic, hit the front brake and throw the bike down. It fell on its left side (if you are looking from behind) the idle is a little high so its still running (i guess the clutch was in while it was laying in the sand) while I'm standing there looking in shock, knowing I almost fell in a damn lake. So I pick it up, then it shuts off. I try to restart it, nothing....I fouled the plug. What could have happened? Did the plug drown while the bike was on its side (if thats even possible)?

divineaspex

Jun 3, 2007
I did that.......it start for like 2 seconds, started sputtering, I gave it as much gas as I could, then it just shut off. Got back to the truck, put the bike under a shaded tree to check for a spark, and nothing.

chad_07

Jul 5, 2007
I have had the same problem in the past. I think the first reply I had is the trick to the problem. Also, the carb probably needs cleaning. I guess I wasn't thinking clearly because my 2-cycle trimmer and tiller have the same problems if the carb needs cleaning or if they are tipped on the side. The plug gets too much oil on it and can't spark.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I ran the same plug for 1 1/2 years on a KX250. This is confirmation that 2 strokes do NOT eat plugs.

Check the spark plug boot on that RM, they can wear out and are very easy to replace.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
i dont have one, but its next on my list of things to buy. when i got my yz the jetting was still stock but i never fouled a plug, but i leaned the clip on the needle one notch and dropped the main jet down a few sizes.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You don't need a JD jetting kit. If you use the search function for "jetting" and "spooge" as your search terms you will find enough information to teach you how to fix the problem for nothing more than an investment of your time and anywhere between $0-$20 worth of parts. Fox forks has even saved you some time by giving you links to two threads full of jetting information.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
sixds said:
i dont have one, but its next on my list of things to buy. when i got my yz the jetting was still stock but i never fouled a plug, but i leaned the clip on the needle one notch and dropped the main jet down a few sizes.

So you've already adjusted or know how to adjust your jetting, why on earth would you pay $75 USD for a JD jetting kit at this point?

chad_07

Jul 5, 2007
my problem wasn't jetting at all. i took it back to the dealership where i bought it and the mechanic looked it over. when they put the new motor in it, they put the wrong spark plug in it. they put the right plug in it this time and didnt charge me for it because it was their mistake. he told me to take it home and run it hard, and bring it back if it dies. it hasnt died yet and seems to have a lot more power.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
They dont get eaten if you are jetted properly, but it is always wise to take a couple of plugs on any trip. I keep mine along with some tire iorns and a tube in my fender pack.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom