help:bike sank in lake also need info on top end rebuild

wr250rider

Jan 8, 2008
On new years eve,i sank my yamaha 1995 wr 250 2 stroke in the lake,got it out a few hours later,brought it inside in the heat and drained everything out of the trans/loosened carb float bowl bolt/sprayed inside the throttle opening/did not disassemble carb though/flushed out crankcase/reoiled it(did not split the cases but pulled the cylinder off)even tipped the bike upside down for a day,everything is clean and looks fine with no damage.in my opinion it is ready to be put back together,i am going to put a new piston/rings(basic top end)all i did was disconnect the powervalve bolt to get the cylinder to come off.in my manual for the powervalve it says to use the set pin included in my tool kit which i do not have.do i need that set pin to install the bolt,whatever that means.do i adjust the powervalve before i tighten it back up and how? or do i just hook it back up and thats it.any suggestions are appreciated.also i have a nicasiled stock bore with wiseco piston and am putting the same but a brand new wiseco back in.thanks.,

Last edited:

flounder

Oct 20, 2007
I just want to know the story behind sinking the bike in the lake on new years eve..

Sounds like a drunken "Betcha wont jump it into the Lake" bet to me. :)

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
I saw a youtube video of a guy doing backflips into a lake. I think they were riding a 125 or 250 modern mx bike. He just fliped the bike over, cranked it a few times to drain the case and tank. Filled it with fluids and tried again.

Last edited:

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
wr so far sounds like you will be good to go with putting your bike back togther. sounds like you got all the water and crud out. im not sure about your power valve though as my yz differs from your wr.i would see about grabbing a manual to help you out

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I've submarined a few bikes in my day. Cleaning everything out is the best plan. My little mishaps were slips in deep water, and the bike didn't really take in any water, other than through the air box. If yours was under water for a good while, you may want to split the case and make sure it hasn't got any sand or dirt in it.

I put my '90 YZ250 under water in a flooded out old river channel, there was a log under the water sitting at an angle across the tail, I found myself sitting neck deep in water lookind around for my bike, managed to find it once some air bubbled up ... :ohmy:

split484

Jan 9, 2008
I sank a '99yz400f and when we got it out, kicking it shot water like thirty feet and I couldn't believe it when it actually started after dozens of kicks. It would only run on full choke and idle only but, we got it home. I can't believe you broke all that down after the lake stunt and didn't include the carb. Is that thing running yet?

wr250rider

Jan 8, 2008
flounder said:
I just want to know the story behind sinking the bike in the lake on new years eve..

Sounds like a drunken "Betcha wont jump it into the Lake" bet to me. :)

i was sober in the early afternoon and just got my ice tires back on was going under a wooden posted bridge on the lake and noticed slushy spots around the wooden posts from a short distance so i was probably in 4th gear then pinned it for about 5 seconds at about 60 miles on hour or so and before i knew it and never seen that it was open water for about 25 feet.the bike did not hydroplane at all and by the time it sunk it was at the edge almost where the ice started back up.if i remember i flipped over the bars hit the water and bounced back up and shot back on to the ice and slid for a good 30 feet at least,then crawled back with my weight dispersed back to shore.i was by myself and was only 40 feet from shore.once up on the top of the bridge,you could clearly see the bike on its side only under a few feet.100 feet of rope and hooks and a truck with hooks on it to pull the rope we had the bike 3/4 of the way up the side of the bridge dangling there tied off,could not get it up so we lowered the bike back down and drug it by hand and kept breaking through the thin ice until it was by shore.

wr250rider

Jan 8, 2008
hi,i may look into the carb.the piston had hairline cracks at the bottom in 2 spots i dont believe from sinking it so i have a new wiseco i got off ebay waiting on it,should have it back together as soon as that piston gets here.

flounder

Oct 20, 2007
wr250rider said:
hi,i may look into the carb.the piston had hairline cracks at the bottom in 2 spots i dont believe from sinking it so i have a new wiseco i got off ebay waiting on it,should have it back together as soon as that piston gets here.

Hot piston and ice cold water.. I could see that causing some cracks...

Good story and good luck.. Not sure if she will need to be split open just to be safe from sand and dirt in the tranny but Im sure someone will chime in.

Glad your safe as well.. that could have ended up bad with you all alone.

wr250rider

Jan 8, 2008
split484 said:
I sank a '99yz400f and when we got it out, kicking it shot water like thirty feet and I couldn't believe it when it actually started after dozens of kicks. It would only run on full choke and idle only but, we got it home. I can't believe you broke all that down after the lake stunt and didn't include the carb. Is that thing running yet?

NOT YET,PISTON HAS 2 SMALL HAIRLINE CRACKS,WAITING ON PISTON.

wr250rider

Jan 8, 2008
flounder said:
Hot piston and ice cold water.. I could see that causing some cracks...

Good story and good luck.. Not sure if she will need to be split open just to be safe from sand and dirt in the tranny but Im sure someone will chime in.

Glad your safe as well.. that could have ended up bad with you all alone.

hi thanks,i am glad it didnt turn out for the worst,where the 2 hairline cracks were are 1/4" long on the bottom of the piston(on 2 of where the 4 bottom points are)but where the cracks are it is bent downwards a bit like someone took pliers and cranked on the metal.kind of weird. i am wondering if i can put in the same but new wiseco or do i need to have it honed out first?

Top Bottom