whizzit

Feb 6, 2004
Hi, long story short heres my situation:
The left tensioner bolt (the bolts that push the wheel back to tighten the chain) is broken. I've drilled it to about 5 mm into the subrame until I realized that theres not enough room for the power drill and/or the drill bits aren't long enough to drill the whole bolt out. Its just how the bolt is situated in the frame, the frame gets in the way of the drill. Dumb mistake on my part starting to drill the bolt out i guess :bang:

Any suggestions what I should do? I'll see if I can get some pics.

There was about 1 cm of the bolt sticking out before and i filed it down a bit to get some vice grips on there. I had the vice grips on real real tight but the bolt just wouldn't turn, and I did spray some WD-40 on the bolt.

Speedfreek

Nov 3, 2003
You can get extra long drill bits,might be just what the doctor ordered :laugh: Alot of times when you are dealing with steel bolts in aluminum,a good practice on bolts that feel stuck is to give them a whack with a mallet and punch first to loosen up the oxidation.Heat will help alot as well. Some heat and a reverse drill bit will do the trick if you're lucky. Good luck

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
if you know any residential electricians they all own a right angle drill which will get you in there

Speedfreek

Nov 3, 2003
I could also sell you one of these if you'd like,since I have two

Attachments

• bike pics 051.jpg
    bike pics 051.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 147

Broken Spoke

Mar 1, 2004
Have you tried an ease out? If the bolt and the swingarm are really oxidized together, you may need to add some heat also. With aluminum, a butane torch is enough. I don't think you would need an oxy/aceteline rig.

whizzit

Feb 6, 2004
Ok I'll try using some heat and an easy out. And I'll see if theres any of these extra long drill bits in town. Thanks for the tips.

whizzit

Feb 6, 2004
Just FYI, I got the bolt out with the use of an extra long drill bit. Had to borrow it from work ;) The thing was a FOOT LONG! An easy out didn't work, so I drilled the whole thing out and tapped it. I never used heat, so that could have helped with the easy out, but that bolt must have been stuck real good.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom