Help,EXC 400 forks big problem!

MoGwai

Mar 5, 2002
I've just install a WP revalvr kit brought from Ebay with the No.1 setting on the shim stacks(woods) and 5wt oil.

After a weekend race, I found that my fork sink down with just a little rebound whenever I press the front brake and pushes them down and when I place it back to its sidestand again and with some help from me tilting the bike onto its side stand, the forks will rebound up with 2-3 jerking action to its full travel!

Kind of like the forks' seal gripping too tight to the forks and letting it go not in a smooth 1 action but with much restirction on it.
Rebound and comp. clickers did not help. :ugg:
Can you guys pls help me. thks a million!

Chris :whiner:

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
What did you torque the lower triple clamp to? Did you center the axle? I would remove the front wheel and see if they work smoothly by hand. You should be able to feel anything internal binding.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
sounds like you havent lined up the forks correctly when installing the wheel-go to jers web site to downloads and he has a good guide on how to do it.

MoGwai

Mar 5, 2002
Lew and Marcus>
Did not know that the lower triple clamp pinch bolt (6 of them,Appiled clamps) affect the fork that much. Thanks for the lesson. Also the recommanded site of Jer's is great man!

Will retorque the lower clamps, balance the front wheel axle again!
Thanks a million, will get back to you guys after the 'work'. ;)

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
It's the pinch bolts that hold the front axle that most likely are not torqued correctly. There is a sequence you need to follow. If you tighten up the odo side pinch bolts first, then torque the large axle nut, you can pull the forks towards each other and cause that binding that you describe.

I think the procedure in your owners manual is pretty accurate if you follow it to the letter, too.

podia

Aug 31, 2000
You mean before the race, the fork is behaving alright?

Singapore do not really have a qualified suspension tuner,
who did the installation for you?

Just curious. :think:

MoGwai

Mar 5, 2002
Podia,

Ya, Singapore do not have a pro tuner for Susp. ,it was done by a friend, who is quite a mechanic.

So you stay which part of Singapore? :think:

MoGwai

Mar 5, 2002
Arlo Podia,

I stay in the west too!!! ;)
What bike you riding?

Might be adding a 2000 KTM200 to my parking bills soon! :confused:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom