REDTHUNDER

Mar 2, 2004
I am rebuilding the forks on my 2000 CR250 and am having a probem with the inner fork portion. When I filll it with oil, pump the air out, then put on the fork cap, I should then be able to compress the rod and it should slowly return to the full out position. The problem is that when I compress the rod it just forces oil out from somewhere in the cap. So every time I push the rod through its range of motion more oil comes out and it does not return to full out position. I checked the o ring on the fork cap and it is good, is there any other place on the fork cap assembly that oil can leak out of that inner chamber from? It looks like there is a seal inside the spring cup that holds the bushings, is it possile to leak from there, and can that part be replaced. Some tell me that I have to replace the whole fork cap assembly. Any help would be appreciated.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
It is designed to work this way-the oil coming out is oil passing the piston as the chamber is over full, however once you do this a few times the oil should stop coming out, but the rod should now fully(or close to) extend.

kuritaro9

Nov 7, 2004
yep,marcus is right.i usually purge mine a few times to ensure all the xtra oil is out.if you dont,the forks will be very harsh in the first few inches of travel.was it tough to get the cap to screw into the chamber?if there is too much oil,it should be very difficult to get the cap on.my advice would be to purge a few times,then lay the cartridge on its side to allow th oil to drain out the holes for a few minutes... :cool:

Top Bottom