Help Getting Jet/Fuel/Carb - Good Plug Color

delvect

May 18, 2001
Got a 87 KDX200. I am having some trouble getting the fuel/carb/plug dialed in.
I have the carb jetting setup per the Fredette recommendations and the reed specs.
I can't get good plug color. The plug sometimes fouls, but mostly has hard carbon build-up and the bike/carb only seems
happy when I am above half throttle. I have gone to a hotter plug (B8ES) with some improvement. I went to the first needle clip position (Fredette specs call for position 2).
And recently went from 32:1 to 40:1. The results are not in from the fuel/oil ratio change. Will the 40:1 hurt the old gal (the bike that is).
Am I trying the right things? What's next? It seems to be OK if I ride it hard, if I play ride it fouls up pretty quick.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Try air screw and pilot jet changes

You need to turn out your air screw a little at a time (counterclockwise) until the low end clans out. If that won't work yoiu will need to get a smaller pilot jet. try 1/8 turns at a time on air screw.

Just KDX website has carb tuning information that will hold you by the hand through it.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
THE BRAND OF 2CYCLE OIL USE CAN MAKE A DIFFERANCE
I USE GOLDEN SPECTRO AT 42/1
PLUS ON AN OLDER BIKE YOU COULD BE BURNING A LITTLE MOTOR OIL
(CLUTCH SIDE CRANK SEAL LEAKING OR THE CENTER ON THE CASE
LEAKING

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…