Oct 10, 2004
Just like the title says I have a bad case of death grip. I only really noticed when i rode last time because I have just switched the bars on my bike to the proper size (these ones are about 1 1/2 or 2 inches taller than my last bars) I dont remember having this problem before so hoipefully I just have to get used to them. besides keeping your elbows up is there anything else that might help?

dante

Mar 24, 2004
I have had that problem also... The only thing you can do is try and relax... I think I was too excieted while I rode, I had to learn to relax a little bit more, and learn to stay loose on the bars... To stay more anchored onto the bike I started making sure I griped the bike with my lower legs, and knees more making it possiable to be looser on the bars... I try and use my body weight (body english) to steer the motorcycle and use as little imput on the bars as I can, that way you actually start to use the controls more while riding fast... Sounds funny but as a former "death gripper" I'd be holding on so tight I literally could'nt let go!
One time I was trying to keep up with people and my hands litterly froze in place and I could'nt even back off on the gas, in order to slow down... That's when I knew I was doing it wrong...

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
yup.....it hate it when that happens....just grip with the knees, keep the elbows up and relax. also, buy a bottle of icyhot and apply it to the forearms (anywhere the arm pump occurs) before you ride and continue to apply as needed....this is my little secret. it works wonders!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Go back and re-check your adjustments on the bars and levers to make sure they are comfortable and easily accessible.

A common mistake is to rotate the bars too far forward, thinking it will get you farther forward. Instead, it will raise the bar ends and place undue stress on your wrists. I run CR-Mids in the neutral position on all bikes, now.

But the best advice has already been given...relax!

moore_716

Jun 1, 2005
I agree with all of the above, but not the icy hot. I tried that one and a trainer told me if it felt like it was working it was only a placebo. Use your legs. They are much sstronger than your arms and can do most of thw work. Squeeze the tank with your knees, and use your outside knee to push the bike over when turning. When and if you do any jumping relax your grip. letting go is the best but just relaxing with your hans will help. Another trick that is proven to fight armpump is to give yourself armpump earlier in the day. I lift weights everyday. Before I started really hitting my arms hard I would always get pumped up. Now it doesn't happen. I don't remember the exact medical reason why but it's worth a try. Also drink lots of water throughjout the day before you ride.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
My grips on my last bike were too big with gloves on. I installed slim grips and it helped a ton.

Crazy

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
i know this sounds corny but think about it and try it. for the hand to make an effective "grip" all it has to do is have a finger come in contact with the thumb. try it. make a complete loop with your index and thumb and have a kid try to pull them apart. its kind of like the hand on top of your head thing. it can be done, but it takes a lot of effort. i always ride with the index and thumb touching and the other three making contact with the grip. its amazing how much you can relax with this grip style.

tn_tuxedo

Oct 9, 2004
Proper glove fit and grip selection are important for reducing arm pump.They will also reduce blistering, cramping, and numbness as well.
A glove that is too large will allow your hand to move around inside while the glove stays in one place on the grip. This will lead to gorilla grip and blisters. A glove that is too small will restrict your movement and blood flow, leading to cramping and numbness. Keeping your gloves clean and dry is important for obvious reasons.
Grip selection is important too. My '04 came stock with Renthal half waffle grips. Nice grips, but the smooth top just didn't hook up well with my gloves. My hands would move around on the grips and I tended to squeeze the bars too hard trying to keep them in one place. It just got worse the faster I went. I switched to a set of Oury grips with raised ridges about 3/16" tall all the way around the grip and noticed a night/day improvement. They look like they'd be about as easy on the hands as a meathook but they really do stick to my gloves well. Now I don't have to squeeze so hard to to feel in control. I get a solid, more consistant grip, which lets me relax and keep my elbows up. I've noticed a dramatic reduction in fatigue and wear and tear on my hands. Lap times, too. (I'm still slow) All from a simple grip change.
My 2 cents.

Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
My hands usually hurt for about the first half hour of riding, and then it just goes away and I feel fine. Its weird but I assume that I'm just too tense when I first start riding and loosen up when I start to feel more comfortable on the bike. I've on ly been riding again for a couple of months. I also wear elbow guards so that may contribute due to the resticting nature of the elastic straps.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom