Help!! Just installed new clutch plates...

PowerJoe

~SPONSOR~
Mar 25, 2003
I just installed all new clutch plates on my 2002 CR250.

Before the clutch plates were installed the adjuster on the clutch perch was all the way in and the adjuster in the cable was all the way out.

After installing the clutch plates my clutch lever had a lot of slack. I tried to take it all up with the adjuster in the perch but it wasn't enough. Since the adjuster in the cable was already all the way out, I had to make a spacer to take up the rest.

First of all, as the plates wear doesn't it create slack in the cable that needs to be taken up with the adjusters?? So when I install new plates I should have to re-shorten the adjusters to get the proper lever adjustment, correct? But what happened was the opposite. :eek:

Did I do something wrong? Please Help, I need to ride tomorrow and right now I have it Johnny rigged to get by. :uh:

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
as the plates wear you should lose free play, the way you are out of adjustment sounds right.
Is it possible that you might have misplace either a thrust washer or bearing that rests against the pressure plate?
Is it possible that the clutch arm is clocked wrong or some other adjustment by the clutch that isn't set right?
Did you use aftermarket plates? if so measure the thickness of the aftermarket against a new stock one if possible. I never have bought aftermarket plates but have heard that they can be thicker than stock ones.

If you believe that everything went as it should I would get a new clutch cable and compare the two to see if the old cable is streched.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
jmics is right, freeplay will become less with worn out plates, then you put in new thicker ones, and the freeplay becomes alot more, especially if they are aftermarket plates. If you dont like it jerry rigged, then I think some people take out one or two fibers and replace them with one or two of the old ones, until the rest of the new fibers wear enough to put back in the one or two taken out.

PowerJoe

~SPONSOR~
Mar 25, 2003
Thanks for the help guys.

I am sure I put it together right, I was just thinking about the slack wrong.

Yes I did use aftermarket plates, because I get a deal on them.. they were by DP Brakes.

I will buy a new cable next week as I feel the stock one has probably stretched.

I am fine with the way I rigged it up, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't do something wrong. I used the ferrel off of an old perch adjuster for the spacer and cut almost all of the threads off but left 3 or 4 to insert into the current ferrel adjuster... if you follow me. It will work fine until I get a cable.

Top Bottom