XRDadKDXBeni

Aug 27, 2002
Our 220, purchased new in July, has about 100 miles on it - the gas cap has split around the circumference almost half-way around. The limited warranty expired on 9/25 and the dealer is balking at free replacement. In my experience (40+ years) I have never seen a gas cap split like this on any make or model of bike. Is this a common problem with this particular gascap or with kawasaki plastic gascaps in general? Has anyone had a similar problem and/or has anyone had any success in having kawasaki replace the cap even though the warranty period has expired?

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
I've had one crack on my 94. It was probablly due to it being constantly over-tightened. They cost less than $20 to replace, so don't worry about it.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
Correct, they crack if over tightened. Make sure you don't throw out the rubber seal in the cap, you'll need it for the new one.
When you get a new one don't crank down on it . It only needs to be snug the rubber ring seals the fill opening.

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
dont even bother with the big and bulky stock kdx cap, buy a kx cap they are smaller and ur not going to end up bing sore after hitting yourself on it. i run a kx cap on my kdx's, i race the gncc's and local ama races.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
my 87 kdx cap was split all the way around...i purchased one from dennis kirk...when i got it, it wouldn't fit, even though the major, minor and pitch diameters where an exact match, after looking closer my tank threads had a bit of a worn flat on them, so i took out my pocket knife to the new cap, cut about .05 off the threads...fits perfect!

XRDadKDXBeni

Aug 27, 2002
thanks for the info guys - i'm not buying the over tightened angle - this bike is three months old and the gas cap should not split even if it is over tightened a bit. None of our other dirt bikes split a cap, my weedeater doesn't, my mower doesn/t my blower doesn't - I think the cap is manufactured with too thin a side wall and should be replaced by Kawasaki. Yes, I realize its less than $20 dollars; its more the principle of the issue - quality is quality and this cap is not quality if it splits when you use it for its intended purpose....and I don't think we are "over-tightening" it....we are simply tightening it. I think I gonna call Kawasaki and tell them Honda would replace it. Thanks again for you input. XRDad

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I can't believe your dealer. As for telling Kawasaki that Honda would replace it, from what I've heard & seen, Kawasaki is absolutely brilliant with their replacement of stuff after the warranty's run out - gas tanks for 2-3 year old bikes? Would Honda still replace something then? Somehow I doubt it.
It's a pita that you feel you need to contact Kawasaki direct - dealers get a 1800 number to phone for warranty claims & a lot seem more than happy to phone it.
Let me know how you get on, because I honestly can't believe that Kwakka wouldn't replace it whether it's because you overtightened it or not. Believe me, I've heard of warranty claims a lot worse than yours that they've honored even though the bike's have been 1yr or more old.
Michelle

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Thanks for the cap tips. Just got a 97 KDX220 two week ago and I was getting splashed with gas (when full) with the cap on pretty tight.
Now I now that 1) you should not need to crank on the cap, 2) the KX cap is a smaller replacement. # 2 is key cause I crushed the family jewels on the KDX gas cap during a first ride crash.

Also searched this forum to find out:
1. Expected fuel milage
2 Performance effect of the Fatty pipe and Power Core that came on the bike
3. Rear shock sag setup
4. What computer to buy (TrailTech) to replace the missing Odo

I Love this place!! :worship:

Matt

XRDadKDXBeni

Aug 27, 2002
Happy ending! The dealer (owner) walked over to a 2003 KX and gave me the gas cap...works and looks nice on the KDX. It was the service manager who was doing the replacement balking.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom