RazorX

Sep 24, 2006
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) - 6' and 220 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? - Usually too aggressive for my own good
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? - Mostly woods and fields with friends but I may make it to a track or hill climb occasionally.
4) Do you have any riding experience? - I road my friends' and cousins' dirt bikes when I was a kid but I haven't ever owned one myself and it has been over 20 years since I road any dirt bike. I have ridden ATV's in the trails and fields since though. I have also owned and ridden street bikes. I road street for about eight years. The last time I was on a street bike was about ten years ago.
5) Do you think you will race ? - Not likely
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? - I am pretty mechanically inclined but I will probably split the work on the bike to about 50/50 between what I do and what I pay to have done. Family and work take so much time these days.
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? - Not really. I have owned Honda and Suzuki street bikes.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? - I have dealers for all brands near by.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? - $2,000 - $3,000
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion - I tend to be pretty competitive and want to keep up with my friends on their bikes. They ride a KTM 250 XC, Honda CRF450R, Honda CR250R, Yamaha YZ250. I would like a good bike that will not lag too far behind these guys (I know I will for a while) and will be good for a beginner (i.e. good broad power band).

Thanks in advance,
Rich

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Lots of options for you! Just remember it doesn't matter what type of bike you ride, skill is what you will need in order to keep up with your friends, not a 2 or 4 stroke, or orange or red, however I prefer orange and 4 myself ;)

You might be able to find a 2001 KTM 400 MXC, that might be a good all around bike in your budget. Otherwise look at the WR426 or DRZ 400. All great trail bikes, yet the KTM will shine at the track and the WR on the Hill climbs, but any 250 2 stroke set up for the woods would also be a good choice.

For example, friends RM 250 2001 has a fly wheel weight, extra large tank, taller gears, and suspension redone. If you can't find a KX, CR, or YZ set up for the woods then the KTM 250 MXC or EXC.

Have fun and pace yoursefl!

RazorX

Sep 24, 2006
Thanks for the opinions and advice. I think I have run across a pretty good deal on a KDX 220. I work with the owner and he has taken extremely good care of the bike. It is pretty much stock. The only things he has done to the bike were replacing the handlebars and a set of bark busters. It has a new rear tire and has always had the oil changed after every ride. He even went so far as to wash the bike as soon as he got home from a ride (never waited until the next day even). I can't stress how clean this bike is or how meticulously it has been maintained.

He said he would sell it to me for $2K. He may also be willing to throw in some riding gear (jersey, pants, pads, etc.) but I need to confirm that.

What do you think? Would this be a good bike for me based on what the information I included in my original post? Is this as good a deal as it seems to me?

Top Bottom