Help Me Find A Bike!! (16 Years Old/5' 8"/135 Pounds)

Littleston101

Oct 23, 2008
I'm looking into getting a new bike this summer. I just got my truck two days ago, and Its time my dirtbike actually matches it. Right now, I ride a 2002 Honda XR80R and it is way to small for me. I'm 5'8" and I weigh roughly 120-130 pounds. I'm looking at a bike to ride for faircross mx races and local mx tracks. I'm going to keep my XR80R for trails and goon riding.
What bike would fit me good? Ive riden my buddy's TT-R 125 a lot and it seems to fit good, and I have also rode my cousins CRF 230 and I fit it pretty good.

I'm looking for a 2004-2009 bike. I'm looking at Hondas only.

Honda CR 125
Honda CRF 150
Honda CRF 230

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
***Well, while I was posting, you changed your original post from a 250F to a 150F, so you can ignore most of what I posted below. The 150F is pretty small, and at 5'8", I think you would outgrow it quickly. Plus if you plan to race MX, it is considered a "mini-cycle" and not allowed in the adult classes, only certain youth classes right now.***

If you're planning to mainly ride MX, I would cross the 230 off your list. That bike is very heavy (250 lbs.), and is set up for offroad/trails, and not for MX. So the suspension, brakes, gearing/power, etc. is not the best choice for MX.

So you should probably consider either the CR125R or CRF250R, if you're set on a Honda. Both the bikes are basically the same size, with the seat height a few inches taller than the 230. So at 5'8", you might find a 125/250F a little tall, but you would probably get used to it. The 125 is a two-stroke, and is a little lighter, and the 250F is a four-stroke, and a little heavier. They are both good choices for a 5'8" 16 year old with some riding experience. The 250F has smoother power delivery, and the 125 comes on a little slower but hits hard when you get into the power. Keep in mind, Honda quit making the 125 a couple years ago, so if you're looking to get something new, the 250F is your only option in red.

I rode 125's for a few years, and switched to 250F's back in 2002, and find them much easier to ride. Smoother power delivery and not as much work to go fast as a 125 (less clutching/shifting). But one downside is the 250F's are a little harder to work on yourself (more moving parts!) and can be pretty costly to fix if you have an engine problem. Plus 250F's usually cost more at the time of purchase, and you might want to stay away from one with a lot of hours if not properly maintained.

Do some searches on here and you'll find a lot of info and opinions on 125s vs. 250Fs. Good luck! :ride:

Littleston101

Oct 23, 2008
yeah i figured that the price tag on the 250f's is more than my truck. so i dont think id really get that into reality. i think im going to go with the 125. thanks to both that helped! i think im going to find an 06 or 07.

Top Bottom