Help me find the right bike for my kids

Scotny7

Mar 27, 2008
Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
7 yo 4' 3" 42lbs, 12yo 5' 5" 110lbs, 14yo 5'9" 155lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Very, all 3 have been riding a YZ 80 auto for between 2 & 11 years

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? All just started riding MX Trax with the 7 yo being the best rider. LOL
4) Do you have any riding experience? I have minimum but they have some see ? 2

5) Do you think you will race ? Yes

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Some, We have Friends that are heavy racer/riders. YZ 450

7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?NO

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Daytona, All brands in the vicinity
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? Not sure but we have expensive hobbies. I will look for deals though

10) Do you live in California? NO

11) Your age? 7, 12 , 14
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
All 3 are athletes with GREAT balance and have High pain tolerances. They know that with fun comes pain and are ready to rock

This info won't guarantee a perfect bike choice but it will sure steer the answers you get closer to the ideal bike.

Thanks in Advance. Much appreciation

Apr 30, 2007
I may have misread, but are you purchasing one bike for all three kids? Or does each one get their own bike?

2fiddyEXC2T

May 4, 2008
id get a xr 80 for the 7yro a rm 85 for the 12yr and a cr 125 for the 14 yro :)

ttoks

May 1, 2008
considering they've all ridden a YZ 80 and you say they loved it, i would be going a full on race bike for each of them.

the 7 year old i would be looking at a KX/RM 65 (same bike, different colors) not as fast as the KTM 65, but reliable, will last him until he's ready to move up to an 85.

the 12 years old i would be looking at an 85 big wheel, or even a super mini, if you look at an 85 BW, i'd be looking at either KTM (expensive, fast) or RM (reliable, easier to ride to rider, cheaper).

then for the 14, a 125 is the obvious step, you could go RM again and all be on the same color (helps with there being no arguments..) but the RM 125 is quite a peaky, agressive 125, but handle supurbly, i personally like the YZ 125 the best.

Top Bottom