HELP! New rider, what do I get for me and what to get for the wife?

jumpingjerry

Jan 26, 2007
Thanks for the Help

I'm new to dirt bikes and am not sure what to get. I rode my buddy's YZ85 and thought it was great, but what would be comparible to it in a 4 stroke? How would the TT-R230 be compared to the YZ85? Leaning for the YZ85. A dealer has two new 2005's in stock for $2820 out the door.

1) your physical size 5'10" 225 pound
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?might get a little aggtessive, but not too crazy
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? will ride woods and fields with familiy and friends
4) Do you have any riding experience?Used to have a street sports bike
5) Do you think you will race ?Nope
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?Yes and yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?not sure on brand and not sure yet on 2 or 4 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Kawasaki and Honda 15 miles from home with Suzuki 25 miles from home
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?Got about $6000 to spend on two bikes
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinionI'm 32

Also looking for one for my wife. I think a YZ85 would be too much power for her? Was looking at a TT-R125 for her or a KLX-100 What do you all think?

1) your physical size 5'4" 115 pounds
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?not very
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????with friends and family in the woods and fileds
4) Do you have any riding experience?None
5) Do you think you will race ?not a chance
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?Yes and yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?no
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?Got about $6000 to spend on two bikes
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion26 years old

Thanks for any help and info :ride:

Last edited:

jumpingjerry

Jan 26, 2007
4thGearAndPinned said:
you should not be on an 85... Didn't it feel small?
get yourself a 125, and a tt-r125 for her.

Ya, it did feel a little small, but it didn't bother me and I liked that it was easy to handle. I just can't aford the price tag of a 2 stroke 125

thanks for your input.

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
This may just be my (power ADDICT) opinion, but you'll probably get tired of an 85 after a while.

maybe a 125 for you, or a 250 four stroke (if you don't mind the valve adjustments, etc...)

As for your wife, a 150 4 stroke or 85 2 stroke might be just the ticket.

If you go the the dealership and they know you're a serious customer, they'll probably let you test ride a few bikes. If I were you I'd try the 250 4 stroke and even a 450, just to know what's out there. who knows.. you may fall in love with a 250 thumper;)

Good luck with the decision.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
An 85cc bike is geared for those about 5' tall and about 120lbs. Unless you plan on selling it soon, or letting your wife ride it, then I would not get it. You said that money is an issue, then you should be buying used anyway. You can get nice used bikes for a fraction of the new price. Look around, and find something that actually fits and that you can grow and learn on, unless you like riding pit sized bikes.

jumpingjerry

Jan 26, 2007
I've got about $6000 or so to buy two bikes. I'd like to buy new if I can, but I might just have to look at used. I rode a budy's Honda CR250R today and I didn't like it. Seems like too much power.

I might just look for a good used one for me in the 125 two stroke size.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Well, If the CRF250R seemed like ALOT of power, a 125t will be CLOSe to up there. it wont be as much tourke and boddom end. But it will get the job done. And a 125t is lighter than a 250F.

But if you would like to just cruse around and have fun. And not worry about looking good, or impressing people why not and go for the 85. Im 6' tall, and with 180lbs and i rode my friends RM80. About the same size as the 85. And it has enought power to get you around and do what you gotta do, ands have some fun. But its not Like ZOOM. I think your wife would be almost perfect for the 85 though.

Also with my height and weight. When i rode the RM80 it was small. It felt like you were to close to the tank. but at the same time to close to the back of the bike. And it was small. It is just cramped and i had fun, but could get annoying after awile. BUt if your comfortable. And just want to buzz around. Just get the 85. Or get your ife the 85. And search for a usec 125 or something that you may like.

jumpingjerry

Jan 26, 2007
4thGearAndPinned said:
Honestly, Jerry, if you start to have a lot of fun on this bike, you would wish for more bike than an 85 very soon.

Ya, you may be right. I'm in the process of looking around for a good used 125 two stroke for me. Just haven't found one yet. Still debating on an 85 two stroke for the wife or a 125 four stroke. I'm just afraid if she gases it too much on that 85 two stoke that she'll fly off the back end. :bang:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Moparman1539 said:
Well, If the CRF250R seemed like ALOT of power, a 125t will be CLOSe to up there. it wont be as much tourke and boddom end. But it will get the job done. And a 125t is lighter than a 250F.
he said CR250R, not CRF

I'm thinkin' you'd like a CRF250, or a YZ250F, lighter than that TTR230 you were looking at

and a TTR125 would be a better starter bike for momma

jumpingjerry

Jan 26, 2007
Thanks to all for the replied. I bought two new 2006 bikes tonight. I got me a TT-R230 and the wife a TT-R125LE. Both for a total of $5200 out the door, wich was nice because I cam in under budget and we both have new bikes. Can't wait to ride it!!!!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
you guys should have a blast on the trails. Both are relatively low maintenance rides and good starter bikes.

have fun!

Nov 25, 2006
Nice! I like the new 230's, i like the ergo's, and i had a '06tt230 up a big nasty hill and it did well, even though it was mostly rider. It does not feel as heavy as it weighs.

jumpingjerry

Jan 26, 2007
Even though I've been busy working and it's been raining here and there and with the cold and all, I was able to sneek in a few 15 minute rides in and I love it! Very impressed with both bikes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom