Help Newb!

Gage

Mar 24, 2004
Hi, I am thinking that I would like to try riding dirt and I would like to ask you all for some advice. I am pretty sure that I want to get a 4 stroke so please advise with that in mind. Here is a little background information. I have been riding on the street for 3 years on a Suzuki SV650s. I am 29 (pretty conservative and not to crazy) 6ft tall and weigh 210. I think I would like to stay between 2k-4k price range on a used bike. I don't think I will be doing any MX-ing on a track but the occasional jump looks pretty enticing :) or fun even though I have never done it. I rode a handful of time when I was younger on a 80cc dirt bike.

Washington State riders have you had any luck with converting a off road bike to a dual sport. I don't really want the extra weight of the ones sold as dual sports but I sure think it would be fun to blast around the logging roads up camping etc..

Any advise that you could give would be greatly appreciated. I never realized there were so many dirt bikes to choose from.

Gage

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
If you're trail riding I feel you cann't go wrong with an xr 400-650, cause they are reliable like a hammer and you can pretty easly resell them if you grow out of them. Also, not big maintance to keep running.

Some folks might recommend you get a yz450f or a crf450, but I think that would be the next bike for you...some yrs. down the road.

Good luck with it.

Gage

Mar 24, 2004
Thanks for the post nectar. I was kind of leaning towards the XR400 but also have a friend who rides a KLX300 which he likes allot. Anyone else with some thoughts??

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Nothing against your buddy, but pass on klr300 cause its gonna be smallish for you.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…