Gage

Mar 24, 2004
Hi, I am thinking that I would like to try riding dirt and I would like to ask you all for some advice. I am pretty sure that I want to get a 4 stroke so please advise with that in mind. Here is a little background information. I have been riding on the street for 3 years on a Suzuki SV650s. I am 29 (pretty conservative and not to crazy) 6ft tall and weigh 210. I think I would like to stay between 2k-4k price range on a used bike. I don't think I will be doing any MX-ing on a track but the occasional jump looks pretty enticing :) or fun even though I have never done it. I rode a handful of time when I was younger on a 80cc dirt bike.

Washington State riders have you had any luck with converting a off road bike to a dual sport. I don't really want the extra weight of the ones sold as dual sports but I sure think it would be fun to blast around the logging roads up camping etc..

Any advise that you could give would be greatly appreciated. I never realized there were so many dirt bikes to choose from.

Gage

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
If you're trail riding I feel you cann't go wrong with an xr 400-650, cause they are reliable like a hammer and you can pretty easly resell them if you grow out of them. Also, not big maintance to keep running.

Some folks might recommend you get a yz450f or a crf450, but I think that would be the next bike for you...some yrs. down the road.

Good luck with it.

Gage

Mar 24, 2004
Thanks for the post nectar. I was kind of leaning towards the XR400 but also have a friend who rides a KLX300 which he likes allot. Anyone else with some thoughts??

Top Bottom