spinz195

Jan 14, 2007
ok im a complete noob to two stokes. i picked up a 89 yz 250 about a month ago. well the day after i got it i rode the crap out of it lol. the next day i couldnt get it started, so i put a new plug in it and about 5 kicks it starts.

so i go down the road to get it to warm up some and while im turning arond it dies on me. :(

so i get it home and decide to take the carb off. the crab looks perfectly fine.

the i pull out the reeds and two are tore and look just wore out. so i end up putting in new boyesen reeds.

i get it back together and i just cant get it to fire. i have put in 2 new ngk plugs at a .022 gap, which is factory gap, and it has a new kick stater.

i just can get it to fire up. it seems like it wants to but it dosent. any ideas would help.

maybe is my ignition box junk?

thanks in advance

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
check the compression

spinz195

Jan 14, 2007
it seems like i have spark. i pulled the plug wire and kicked started it and it gave me a little shock. i would expect that though. im not sure if it strong enough though.

Kawiguy1994

Jan 14, 2007
If u are thinking that u may not have enough spark, take the magnitto cover off and blow it out with a air hose Check for bad connections on the wires and such !! :nod: Worked for me ! :cool: good luck

freakystyley

Nov 27, 2006
try to bump start it, too. find a hill or better yet have someone tow you...you won't have to push that pig back uphill after it dies at the bottom!!!
How do the plugs look after you give up on them? could have a seal leak causing to wet fouling the plugs or air/vacuum leak leaning it way out.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
freakystyley said:
try to bump start it, too. find a hill or better yet have someone tow you....
Please don't tow the bike!!!!!!!!!!!! Towing a bike to start it is extremely dangerous and can result in life altering injuries! I have more than one friend that have had to learn this the hard way and none of them walk right. The act of towing a bike seems easy and harmless when in fact it makes the rest of offroad riding look harmless.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
spinz195 said:
ok im a complete noob to two stokes. i picked up a 89 yz 250 about a month ago. well the day after i got it i rode the crap out of it lol. the next day i couldnt get it started, so i put a new plug in it and about 5 kicks it starts.

so i go down the road to get it to warm up some and while im turning arond it dies on me. :(

so i get it home and decide to take the carb off. the crab looks perfectly fine.

the i pull out the reeds and two are tore and look just wore out. so i end up putting in new boyesen reeds.

i get it back together and i just cant get it to fire. i have put in 2 new ngk plugs at a .022 gap, which is factory gap, and it has a new kick stater.

i just can get it to fire up. it seems like it wants to but it dosent. any ideas would help.

maybe is my ignition box junk?

thanks in advance

How old is the pre-mix in it? If in doubt, drain the tank and carb and put some fresh pre-mix in and try it.

DWAYNE 7018

Feb 1, 2007
ITS PROBABLY YOUR AIR FILTER. I have a yz 250 if you rode hard in wet dirty areas you should definitely take that route i did and it fired right up. saves money and time.give it a shot.

Top Bottom