nOOb!!! oil change question.

gt42r

Apr 8, 2009
hey guys, new to the forum, and new too dirt bikes.
Just bought an '03 YZ 250 and would like to freshin it up, before i go out this weekend,
I picked up some amsoil oil, gear lube,spark plug, (forgot to buy oil filter and air filter)

few questions..
is it important to change3 oil and filter together, or can i get away with just oil change every few changes?

how much oil do i put in the trans case?
and what octane level do i use with the amsoil?

what tire pressure should i keep my tires at?
any other noob things i should know about my bike??

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You probably don't have an oil filter, unless you have a four stroke and forgot the F. The proper capacity is likely printed on the engine somewhere near the fill hole. I would guess that it is between 500 and 750ml.

You don't need to replace the air filter, you just need to clean and re-oil the one that you have (I do recommend having at least two so that you can keep an oiled one at the ready).

I always use Amoco 93 in the tank, mixed 40:1 with synthetic oil.

Don't forget to lube the chain before your ride.

2stroker_88

Jan 3, 2009
If you are not racing the bike, you only need to change the oil every 2 to 3 rides or so. (Depending how long or how hard you ride.)

Air filter should be inspected before and after each ride, and cleaned when dirty. Try to purchase an airbox wash cover (for your particular bike) so you can completely seal where the filter fits, and clean the airbox out when needed too. (You absolutely do not want dirt entering the air boot.)

TIP FOR AIR FILTERS: Do not use gas / fuel to clean the filter, it wrecks the foam. Use a proper filter cleaner, or mineral turps. Clean filter well, then wash thoroughly with warm soapy water, and let it dry completely. After re-oiling with filter oil, apply a layer of grease (eg. wheel bearing grease) to the part of the filter sealing to the airbox (the flat side) - it will prevent any dirt entering.

Tyre pressure may depend on what conditions you ride in, but a standard pressure would be 15psi. (More for rocks, less for sand / grass.)

Great bike mate, best of luck! If you have any dramas with it, keep posting on this site. You will recieve good advice. Also, do your best to buy an owners manual. Very helpful also :)

gt42r

Apr 8, 2009
wow great advise, friendly ppl :) thanks guys!
what should i gap spark plug at?
and is there such thing as nice boots for under $100?
the chain is pretty rusted, what kind of chain would you guys recommend?

also is there a cheap website i need to know about for parts/clothing/accessories so i dont get ripped off at local bike shop?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You really should get a service manual. It will give you the answers to all the questions you might have.

The plug gap is likely going to be .032 or so.

The type of chain you get is really going to depend on your budget. Probly one of the most affordable options is Primary Drive from Rocky Mountain Motocross.
http://www.rockymountainmc.com/home.do;jsessionid=F216FF79EC8C7F5245A6DFCDC06AD70D.westring1
You should replace the chain and sprockets as a set.

Another good parts supply is Motosport.

You should also try to give your local shops some business. They likely support your local riding areas and can also be very helpful when you need a hand doing some service. It's always nice to be able to walk in and get what you want.

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Even though I don't race my bike I feel better changing the oil after each ride and cleaning the filter as well. Its easy and quick to do. Get some notoil air filter cleaner, air filter oil and lip grease and you're good to go. When you see what it pulls out of the air filter after a day of riding you'll see why its important. Its easy and quick maintenance.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Always support your local shop, even if you can save a few bucks online. The local shop is the one that will answer the phone when you call on Saturday afternoon because you need a tube, chain, lube, or whatever for the race on Sunday. If they know who you are, then they are more likely to take care of you when the online guys can't. A couple of examples: When my son was racing 50s, I got to enjoy my first tube change, and pinched it at about 3:55. The race was 30 minutes away and started at 6:00. The local shop closed at 4:00. I grabbed the phone and asked for Greg (the parts guy) he pulled the tubes and wrote up the ticket so everything was ready when I got there.
A few weeks ago, my current shop owner spent an hour digging through his shop trying to find a sprocket for my son's bike. This guy goes above and beyond whenever I need parts, and hasn't let me down yet. If he doesn't have what I need, he get's it for me by the weekend, even if that means overnighting it and absorbing the shipping. You seldom get that kind of service without first forming a relationship.

gt42r

Apr 8, 2009
more great advice, thanks guys! i cleaned and oiled my filter, changed spark plug, changed oil, and took it out for a quick ride by up the street. bike feels crazy fast. anyone have an idea what this bike could do 0-60mph?

also chain seams a bit loose, and rattles against skid plate, i know how to move back rear wheel to tighten chain, but how do i know how tight i should scoot it back?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Have a buddy sit on the bike so the swingarm is parallel to the ground. This the point where the chain is tightest. Set it to about an inch af free play.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Or you could pull the shock and set it. A good rule of thumb is three fingers off of the swingarm at the back end of the slider. Of course the aforementioned method is more reliable, and once you get it set you can measure the distance off of the swingarm to make it easier next time.

Mar 28, 2009
gt42r said:
wow great advise, friendly ppl :) thanks guys!
what should i gap spark plug at?
and is there such thing as nice boots for under $100?
the chain is pretty rusted, what kind of chain would you guys recommend?

also is there a cheap website i need to know about for parts/clothing/accessories so i dont get ripped off at local bike shop?

i always shop at http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/
i like them, they have good service so i would check it out.

Josht3719

Jan 28, 2009
Me and a buddy have the Shift Combat boots and we like them fine, nothing broken or ripped yet. These boots are $100 and at www.rockymountinatvmc.com you can get free shipping and $10 off when u spend $100 (code is W2501 I believe). And again if you're getting a new chain go ahead and get the front and rear sprockets, which you can find on that site as a package too.

Here's the codes for discounts if you shop at that site - http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/specialoffer.do?ems=020909&lid=mb

Apr 13, 2009
for your oil, idk about your bike but on mine there's a little 10mm phillips with a copper washer, if you loosen that and oil drips out, then your good. idk if this will help, just thought i'd say, that way if you check your crank oil but can't really see, just unscrew that a bit and that's a quick and easy way to find out if you got enough oil in er, that way you don't have to change the oil every time.. dunno if it helps but hey thought i'd post it.

Top Bottom