May 7, 2004
Hey!

Guys I'm having a little trouble on fine tuning my suspension (96 CR250)

First of all I'm not sure where to adjust the rear shock.
Do you need a special tool? That wont be a problem because it will be laser cut. It seems a bit soft so where should I start? The bike must obviously be balanced so I would like to do it properly.

I'd really appreciate your help A.S.A.P

Thanx

Clayton

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You need to know why/what you're adjusting and why you're adjusting it.

Here's something to read.

Here's another.

A quick snapshot of shock action:

Basically, compression needs to be SOFT enough (clicks out) to absorb impacts without jacking your arse, HARD enough (clicks in) to take as large an impact as you're going to give it. Rebound needs to be FAST enough (clicks out) to be ready for the next impact (not 'pack'), SLOW enough (clicks in) to keep the wheel on the ground during the rebound process.

Your bike will have accessible (unless somebody put something back together backwards) clickers top and bottom on your shock. The top one is going to be close to the pressure cannister, the bottom one will be.....well, on the bottom of the shock.

I don't know about your bike in particular....most adjustments can be done with a small blade common screwdriver. Some have a knob to turn.

Setting the clickers should be done only after the sag is properly set. On a dirtbike that is generally 1/3 total travel....commonly around 4". If you don't know how to do that, try a google search with an entry of <sag suspension motorcycle> and you'll get some hits at the top of the search that will answer your questions. Any references to street bikes can be informative for dirtbikes. Obviously you won't be setting your dirtbike sag to 1 1/2"...but you can infer one setting from the descriptive method of another type bike.

How 'soft' it is isn't really the point. It's how it responds to input. You'll find that in the above links.

Grab a screwdriver and go looking for some whoops!

;)

Top Bottom