HELP PLZ Cleaned Carb.. then BIke kickstart is stiff

vampirsoul87

Dec 9, 2009
Crf450x Problem.. NEeed Elite Mechanic ..page 2

Hello all

I Just had my mechanic clean my carb and jets. and spark plug..

Bike kicked perfectly and ran smothly.. for 15mins then i parked the bike for the nite..

Woke up and now the kickstart is barly moving and it doesnt sound good when i push on it. did i just screw my top end or wat..

THanks folks

Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I'm inclined to believe that there is a whole lot more to this story.

Cleaning the carb itself will not cause the engine to lock up.

vampirsoul87

Dec 9, 2009
i talked to some people and they think its the valves.. cause the bike wasnt ridden hard for a year and a half

i just got it 2 weeks ago..

6pac

Mar 10, 2010
What colour is the spark plug electrode?
Its possible the engines been running lean due to an air leak if the carb hasn,t been fitted correctly.

vampirsoul87

Dec 9, 2009
.. yea i took the spark plug out.. and it freed up the kickstart.. so its moving freely.. but doesnt sound clean.. when going up and down

6pac

Mar 10, 2010
What colour was the spark plug electrode, any chance of posting a pic?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
vampirsoul87 said:
.. yea i took the spark plug out.. and it freed up the kickstart.. so its moving freely.. but doesnt sound clean.. when going up and down

Time to pull the head. Plain & Simple..

vampirsoul87

Dec 9, 2009
ok so we pulled the top end out.. amd checked the valves.. everuything was ok... even the crank and rod.. but there is a still a problem anyone got ideas wats the next thing to check once we open the case...

6pac

Mar 10, 2010
Could you give any info on the plug colour, it could hold some vital clues.
If the top ends fine I suspect the problem lies with the clutch basket.

vampirsoul87

Dec 9, 2009
anyone got an idea what could be wrong in the bottom of the case. to screw up the bike.. other than the crank and rod..

vampirsoul87

Dec 9, 2009
Cant Figure this CRf450x OUt -Elite Mechanic needed

Hello.. ALL// Il be quick to the facts 2006 crf450x

.. Cleaned Carb and replace sparkplug
--Bike rode great for 15mins and parked it..
-- Kickstart became stiff but not stuck and bike wouldnt start.
--Took off Top end and check crank rod and piston all ok..
--CHcked clutch and startermoter .. all ok..

-- My mechanic and another mechanic thinks that we might of freeded up the problem and he wants to rebuild it .. replacing ghaskets and etc..

-- Could this problem be with the transmission..
or something else..

THanks everyone

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Doesn't that engine have an auto decompression? You need fuel, compression and spark. Whats not happening and why? How could the transmission effect starting? Vintage Bob

vampirsoul87

Dec 9, 2009
my mechanic had checked everything but the decompressioner before we stripped the bike.. could he be liabile for parts that it takes to rebuild the top end

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Is this some kind of joke thread? An engine, a CRF450X no less, gets stripped to the ground because it would not start? Ran fine, then nothing? So it got taken apart, in a vain effort to discover why it would not start, after pulling the carb? The hot start could have been improperly installed? And you still do not know why it would not start? Is your mechanic a professional, like honda trained, or something, anything? Vintage Bob

vampirsoul87

Dec 9, 2009
hes only 23 and from that motorcycle school in arizona and works for pro circut as a mechanic.. but hes still learning u know.. not the smartest dude.

If the hot start was installed improperly when we finished cleaning the carb.. why would the bike still run for 15mins..??

you think he should be liable for the work if he figures out that the hot start wasnt done right or he didnt check the decompressior before the take down>>>???

Cause now i gotta pay 160 dollars in parts to rebuild it.. ghasket kits and **** for the top end.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
vampirsoul87 said:
you think he should be liable for the work if he figures out that the hot start wasnt done right or he didnt check the decompressior before the take down>>>???

If you had taken the bike to a shop and can prove that the mechanic damaged something through his negligence or incompetence then you would have a case for some sort of retribution.

Based on what you have said I doubt that this is the case. Did you take the bike to a shop where the mechanic worked on it or is this just some guy who was doing work on the side?

Did the mechanic remove and install the carburetor or did he just rebuild the carburetor and you did the remove and reinstall?

What isn't making sense is the relationship (if any) between the carburetor and the difficulty kicking the engine over. Based on the fact that taking out the spark plug freed up the kick start leads me to believe that the compression was really high, or perhaps you were experiencing full compression for the first time and just assumed it was wrong.

One possibility that has occurred to me is that the engine could have been severely flooded. If you get enough raw gas into the cylinder you can hydro-lock it, making it impossible to kick over. Somewhat less gas in the cylinder will raise the compression to the point that kicking it over would be very difficult. All that gas would also keep it from running.

The carburetor should have one or more vent hoses coming off it. These hoses need to be routed directly downward without any uphill sections. If the float valve sticks open the gas has to be able to flow down to the ground. If the hose was routed upwards then overflow would run into the carburetor throat and on into the intake manifold and eventually into the cylinder.

The above scenario would have allowed the bike to run just fine when you first installed the carburetor but after a slow leak over night it would be messed up.

Bottom line: did you install the carburetor, or did the mechanic?

Even if the mechanic installed the carburetor I doubt that you can get any compensation. Proving what was at fault will be very difficult.

How long has it been since the last top end rebuild on this bike? I suspect that it was due anyway so the top end rebuild was needed anyway. Speaking of which, you mentioned gaskets and "stuff" (not that exact word). Unless the top end had been rebuilt within the last 10 hours of use I would at least replace the rings, and if the last rebuild was more than 20 hours ago you should replace the piston. Spend the extra $100 to do it right so you don't have to spend $1000 later.

Rod

vampirsoul87

Dec 9, 2009
The mechanic had cleaned the carb cause it was gued up from storage .. Another fact the bikes kickstart was still sorta stiff after we took the top off and it was making a werid sound when the piston was going up and down ...

vampirsoul87

Dec 9, 2009
thumper forum.. people are thinking the decompressor as well.. and yea i am going to get a full top end kit.. ..

thanks everyone for your help

GOod karma for everyone to come

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If the head came off, went back on, then the kick starter was hard with the plug out, the engine may have been out of timing. Everything Rod said could be true also. Thats near a thousand dollar carb new, was. Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
2strokerfun said:
Wow ! My old air-cooled engines with VMs are looking better and better to me.......
Not REAL familiar with the vms, (maybe I am), BUT, without an ap system, it may likely not work at all. I had a small glimmer of hope for the Edelbrocks would pan out, not. I have heard of no decent replacement carbs for the Keihn FCR, top dog, when set up correctly. Vintage Bob

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…