HELP ! Problem while doing Top End-KIPS Shaft

Headset

Jan 19, 2005
I have a brand new 2005 KDX 220. This weekend I'm doing all the new bike prep stuff and decided, based on the info provided by this forum, to put in a Weisco piston to avoid the possibility of the stock piston cracking and all the damage that could do.
Basic problem, I cannot get the KIPS shaft nut off, YES I am certain I observed the left hand thread, turning the nut clockwise to loosen. I am supporting the shaft by putting an awl through the hole drilled through the shaft, but the awl keeps bending. The flats on the shaft are not working as I do not have a wrench that fits it tightly enough. The nut is only supposed to be torqued to 74 inch pounds so I cannot understand why I cannot get it to break loose. I have tried liquid wrench, tapping on it, even a little bit of heat. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

cyber104

Jan 16, 2005
Hi:
I just did this 2 days ago on my 2001 KDX220R with 50 hours on it. Put the Wiseco piston it just today.

You MUST use a 15/64" wrench to hold the flats. Go out and buy one NOW! :-). You may have to grind it thinner if it is too 'thick'.

Only then will you be able to successfully remove the nut...it's real tight from the factory. Email me direct if you run into any other issues...particularly with positioning the left gear on the mainshaft. It's all still fresh in my head :-)

Hope this helps!
Chris

Headset

Jan 19, 2005
Hey Everybody

Headset here
I finally got it, man what a bitch
I ended up going to Sears, getting a 4" cresent wrench
It had jaws that would fit the "flats" on the shaft
Had to put a length of pipe on the end of the wrench and it finally broke loose. I now understand all the warnings about supporting the shaft because if you didn't it would totally destroy the bottom end of the shaft. It is funny, I have had a 92 and 97 KDX 200, done top ends on both several times and don't rememberm this happening. Tomorrow morning I will put it all back together. Hopefully, no more surprises.

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
Just to clarify for posterity, the wrench size seems to be 6mm. Might be already laying in the toolbox of a metricly-oriented dirtbiker. (or about $4.50 at Sears if not)

Mike.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Yeah, I'm not saying it won't work. Just saying that it is funny americans are going out to BUY SAE wrenches just to work on their metric motorcycles.

cyber104 said:
You MUST use a 15/64" wrench to hold the flats. Go out and buy one NOW! :-).

Right up there with Jeff Fredette making his hand gaurds with SAE fasteners - now that is STUPID. Now I have to carry two SAE tools in my bike stuff along with all the metric stuff. He should have made them metric, just like the rest of the bike.

Phil

cyber104

Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for you insight Phil....

I was just trying to be helpful to the original post, which I think I was....

I'm not sure what value your comments have added?

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
cyber104 said:
Thanks for you insight Phil....

I was just trying to be helpful to the original post, which I think I was....

I'm not sure what value your comments have added?

Was just making a joke, sorry. :p

Thanks for the good info. I am doing my topend this week (just pulled the head and carb and sent to RB Designs yesterday) and now from this post I know that it is 6mm (and I have that one in my tool chest) so I am all set.

Thanks,
Phil

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom