Help. RM 125 Gas spilling out

de5m0mike

May 16, 2008
I just got a 2001 RM 125 a couple weeks ago. Anyway, I was riding it yesterday when I unexpectedly ran out of gas. I figured no bid deal, pushed it back an went to fill up the tank again. That's when I noticed gas spilling out from the overflow tubes that hang down under the engine. The only way I could get it to stop was to turn off the gas line. So anyway, does anyone have any idea what's going on? Why wont the gas stay in? It was working fine a few min earlier.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Your float height is too high. Clean it first to check that a piece of dirt or sand isn't caught in there. If that doesn't work, re-adjust the height.

de5m0mike

May 16, 2008
I know a little about working on bikes but I'm pretty new to this one. Care to elaborate on how to adjust the float height?

thanks

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Turn the gas on and tap the float bowl with a RUBBER hammer. They may have just got stuck down. It's probly a good idea to take the carb off and clean it anyhow. There is a reason the needle valve isn't seating.

de5m0mike

May 16, 2008
I've tried taking off the the carb and cleaning it out. I took the cover off the floats and sprayed around inside with carb cleaner, then blew them dry with some compressed air. Everything seemed to be fine. The floats seemed to move up and down okay without anything restricting them. When I put everything back together I could tip the carb upside down and hear the floats moving inside so I don't think they are stuck but when I put it back on the bike and turned the gas line back on they just filled up with gas and then it started pouring out again. It looks like the gas is only coming out of the three hoses that come out of the side of the carb and not the two that come more out of the top of the carb. Any other ides on what I can try? Is it possible that something just needs to be tightened down better or something? I'd really like to try and fix this myself and not take it to a shop.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Remove the subframe. Remove the carb. Put it into a pan and take it apart. You should really just replace the float VALVE and seat if applicable. After all the jets are out, spray and put something through the passages to make sure they are clear and clean. Do the same with the jets. If you pull 1 bristle out of a fine wire brush, it will go through the pilot jet. Before putting the bowl back on, check the float height.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
there is also the possibility that the float is saturated with gas (or punctured) and just will not float up. I had that on an older bike a few years ago- no matter what I did to the float level it just never shut off until I got to the point it wouldn't open enough to allow fuel to flow through

de5m0mike

May 16, 2008
How exactly do I check/measure the float height?

Also, I understand what the needles are but I don't know what you mean by seat. Maybe it would help me understand if you could refer to this diagram

bikebandit.cam/assets/schematics/Suzuki/SU0218_011.gif
(change the a in cam to an o)

Thanks again, so far you guys have been a big help.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…