Mar 9, 2004
Originally posted in general repair, then I realized there was a Suspension Forum....

I was rebuilding my son's '99 RM 125 forks and when I tried to loosen the right center bolt(bolt at the bottom of the fork with the rebound adjuster in the middle that holds the piston rod and damper rod to the lower tube) it wouldn't budge. The last owner must have used super glue instead of lock-tite and/or more than the 52 ft/lb of torque this calls for because it won't move.

I tried everything including an impact wrench until I ended up with a round bolt head. To make sure it was fully engaged I ground the leading edge off my 6 point socket before starting and soaked in WD40, but the part is only aluminum so it took a lickin and kept on stickin.

Usually at this point I would just get out a monkey wrench and crank it out but its recessed in there and I can't get to it.

Someone suggested heat, I haven't tried heat yet. What do you use? I have a heat gun or a propane torch (a little worried about flame and all of the oily fork parts).

Any suggestions that might leave the part functional? I hate to spend $103 for a new one but I guess I can always use the cut off wheel on my dremel and just slice it up until it falls out.The oil seal is still OK so I don't have to get the bolt out immediately but one of these days it's going to go and I guess I'll be buying a new part unless someone has a spare used one I can buy for less.

Top Bottom