Help with a 2001 KDX clutch assembly

BamaKDXer

Oct 4, 2001
:(

My KDX has started experiencing a problem where when you change into 2nd gear it slips back into neutral unless you physically hold the gear shifter up to give the sprocket time to engage. We disassembled the clutch and checked for debris/damage but found nada. When We went to put it back together I noticed that the 4 retaining screws that hold the clutch basket down seems to seat all the way, leaving no play in the springs whatsoever. It seems like the clutch can't seperate the wear plates unless the springs can be moved. Does anyone know if there is a specific depth to which you should seat the screws? Again, all the way down doesn't seem to let the springs do their job. I can't seem to find anything in the manuals. Anyone ever assembled a KDX clutch??

BamaKDXer

Ride till ya die!!

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
The manual calls for them to be torqued to a specific value. I will look this up and edit this post later. Just because the springs are compressed does not mean that they will not do their job.

Last edited:

someday

Jul 10, 2000
I'm certain the 4 screws are supposed to bottom out, compressing the springs significantly. That's the clamped pressure. When you squeeze the lever, the ever so slight release (further compression of springs) is all it takes.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…