Roadking

Dec 4, 2004
Hello everyone, I know this is a common question but I have been looking through all the old post and still not sure what to do.
My 9 year old has been riding a little over a year now on a Tomos MC 50 Senior which is a great bike to learn on. He's been wanting more power for a while but I have been putting off getting him something better until I knew he had maxxed out the Tomos. Well the other day we were riding and he came up to me saying there was something wrong with his bike. Both fork tubes were bent out at the triple tree. I asked him how he wrecked the bike and he said he hadn't wrecked at all just came off a big jump :ohmy: . The front tubes are made by EB Racing nothing fancy but not junk either. So I think he definintly maxxed it out.
Anyway I am debating between a KLX 110, KX 65 or maybe a KTM 50 Adventure Senior. We do some trail riding but mostly it is open fields or a small home track that used to be a gravel pit. Several good jumps and dips. He may want to do some Motorcross racing but I don't really want that to be the deciding factor because that would not happen very often.
He's a pretty good rider and getting better all the time. I'm scared he'll get tired of the KLX even though it would be the most dependable. I'm leaning toward the KX 65 but am worried that it may be too much to soon. Don't know much about the KTM but we do have a local dealer. Can't afford the price of the SX though I'm sure it's a great bike. Just looking for Ideas.

gergetz

Nov 16, 2005
i would go with the kx 65 just make sure youre watching him when he rides it for the first couple times and tell him to take it slow if you got him one of those other bikes hed grow out of it right away.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
My son came off of the PW50 a bit over a year ago. He is now doing very well on a KX 65 and will be 9 in March. Leave the fiddies behind, it sounds like he know he is over them, and the KTM adventure, he would laugh and quit riding if you stuck him on it. He wants an upgrade not a lat move. And if he wants to race, let him. Oh yeah, it's time to learn how a 2 stroke works and how to fix them.

dhunt

Nov 22, 2002
My daughter came off of a pw 50 to a kx 65. I think the boys are more aggresive but my daughter did fine on the kx. Good bike for sure.

Roadking

Dec 4, 2004
I have found a 2002 KTM 65sx that looks good in the pictures. If this bike is as nice as it appears to be would this be a good choice? What should I be looking out for? Thanks!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Yep, both the KTM and KX 65's are great choices. Just look it over like you would any bike. And make sure you have a KTM dealer fairly close (or mail order) if you're one of those dads who likes to keep everything in tip top shape.

But as far as the first questions, for being 9, and having mastered the 50, I think he will do well on a 65 - just takes a while to get used to the clutch and shifting, but he should get the hang of it. One of our good friend's daughter's is 8, and she just went from a CRF 50 to a KX 65 and is doing great with it.

raytard

Jan 7, 2006
just an opinion, but the honda xr80r is good for someone that size and wont get boring too easily, plus its a 4 stroke so no mixing, easy to start, and less maintenance. ims elling one if you happent o be nearby and want to buy it, look through my profile for my previous posts.

Top Bottom