outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
Hello, i am looking for some help with the following pipes i have for my 2001 kdx 220. The first one says on the mounting tab "k-35, 020997" and has gnarly stamped into the pipe at the fmf logo (woods pipe right?), and the second one has "k-30 kdx, 290994" (rev pipe?). The question i have is that i read that the belly of the woods pipe is 11 inches and the rev pipe is 14 inches, but i measured both these pipes and could only find 13 inches for both, maybe i'm measuring in the wrong spot? Can anyone help me out with this problem.
Thanks

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Measure at the fattest spot. Usually where the convergent/divergent cones meet. The -30 (rev) will be the larger pipe.

IF both your pipes are the same circumference and the markings are as noted...one of the is marked wrong.

Wouldn't be the first time.

***edit for spelling***

Wibby...you need some more beer!!!

Last edited:

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Hello outrgus, I've got both for my 220, and the rev pipe looks to have a fatter belly section which is nearer the silencer...if that makes any sense....anyways, simply by looking at the two, I can clearly see a difference in dimensions, and if you cann't see the difference perhaps something is wrong?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Go here to read (in part):

As measured at the seam of the converging/diverging cones...the largest part of each pipe, the diameters of the two fmf pipes used on newer KDXs are:

Rev (K or KG30) 14.5 inches
Torque (K or KG35) 12.5 inches

Which is wrong of course, cuz the idiot that posted that said 'diameter' when he should have said 'circumference.' But that's cuz he's an idiot.......but you get the point?

If you are measuring 13", I'd guess your looking at two torque profile pipes, often called 'woods' pipes.

The difference is obvious...plain to see. If, looking at the two of them, you cannot tell the difference then one of them is mismarked.

Time to have a chat with your dealer........

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If it's an option (from your response I'd guess it's not) take one of 'em back to where you got it and get the one you don't have.

It's nice to have one-a each.

I used to change 'em all the time depending on where I was headed. It wasn't until I got my DFII setup to suit me that I could use a -30 (rev) in the woods. I haven't used my -35 in over a year.

Good luck!

outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
I purchaced these pipes off e-bay, who knew that one pipe was label wrong? Just another life lesson to add to my character.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Another Ebay Success Story!!

wOW. If such lessons added to MY character, I'd be quite the character!

...wait a minute...........:think:

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Yep...watching the bids on EBAY always cracks me up. Where else can you get a 4 year old FMF "FatBoy" that fits a 1995 and up, has ONLY 13 strategically placed harmonic dents the size of anything from grapes to baseballs for the bargain price of $150? :eek:

If nothing else, folks should realize that you can't go wrong buying a new one...if it sucks and you don't like it you might be able to actually make money on it on EBAY! The competition of actually winning a bid is the only reason I can figure somebody would pay the high prices for VERY used pipes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom