factorykx125

Feb 20, 2004
I have a 99' kx125 and the throttle keeps on sticking. The cable is new and it only sticks when I start going over bumps and jumping. When I'm riding smooth trails and :ugg: road, it doesnt stick. I took the whole carb apart and cleaned it and it looks good but upon looking at it i realized there was a small hole on the carb top behind the bolt. Could this hole be causing it to stick only when it gets bounced around. Please help me, I got hurt riding it. I stuck wide open in third gear going up a double and launced me about 15 feet in the air past the landing into the whoop section after it on my back. I couldnt breath and I was spitting blood. :ugg: I dont feel like getting hurt again so I'm not riding it until I'm positive it's fixed. Please help me! :thumb:

factorykx125

Feb 20, 2004
please help quickly!

Can someone please help me! I need to find this out before tommorow. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to tell me I need all of the help i can get. :flame:

factorykx125

Feb 20, 2004
Hey I live in cumberland county. In south jersey. I ride local pits and local tracks like woodbine and when time comes around once again wildwood thunder in thw sand, I got a house down there 3 blocks from the race. Those bikes arent all of them I got 3 quads and like 4 more bikes. But they are the families bikes. Reply back . R.J. :joke:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
If the carb has been reassembled correctly, I'd almost suspect the throttle tube sticking on your handle bar?

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
On my 99 kx the throttle tube leaked sand into the assembly. You will have to disassemble the housing and clean the entire assembly.

Erik

factorykx125

Feb 20, 2004
I put a brand new motion pro vortex throttle housing and tube on it as soon as it stuck and it did it again. I really am stumped. I really need help so i can ride over the spring break. thanks R.J.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Those motion pro assemblies have holes on the end. Some grip glue might of leaked onto you bar causing some friction take off your throttle tube and see.

Erik

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
....also make sure that when you put the throttle assy on to the bar that you leave enough gap in between the grip and the bar. To do this, slide the throttle assy on to the handlebars till the bar hits the throttle tube/grip, then back it out a little but not too far to establish the gap-maybe about 1/8" (you won't be able to measure it but gives you a feel off how far to go), then tighten the throttle assy bolts as appropiate.
Also verify that your throttle cable is routed correctly on the bike-may need to reference a service manual (which you should have!) to see the proper routing...beileve me it does make a difference.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
Factory KX125, Lube the throttle cable and check the routing like Bizerk said in addition to everything else mentioned. Make sure the cable isn't tightly zip-tied to any other cables or wires. Also check to make sure that the cable isn't bound up under the tank anywhere.

The fact that the cable is only sticking over rough terrain makes me think that the cable must be binding somewhere.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I wonder if the routing is wrong (As previously mentioned) and it is binding when the bars are turned. At any rate, you should be able to duplicate the situation with the bike on the stand. It may take a while, but I believe it can be duplicated. Correct troubleshooting is done carefully and logically. Hope this helps.
P.S., At least you have other bikes you can ride until this gets solved.

FSracing

Jun 18, 2000
It has happened to me couple of time too...i ride a kx 250 2001. Be careful when you put back in place the throttle tube. There's a very small protusion at the end of the tube who fit into a small groove inside the other small white plastic part in the whole assembly. In other words there is only one way to position the tube. Even if it's seem to be propely sat..... you should look at it..

It was my costly error too, i have fallen doing a big 90 feet the throttle was stuck full open...

FSracing

Jun 18, 2000
I check back on my own bike and the part inside is grey and it holds the wire. your suppose to see a small hole on that part which
fit with the little protusion on the throttle tube...you have to line up every things... i hope i am clear...

factorykx125

Feb 20, 2004
Thanks with all your help I just got back from the shop and got another uni and moose quick steel to patch up the whole i bought new grips because the others were brandnew, but they got tore up in the crash. I'm going to go try some things right now thanks you.

factorykx125

Feb 20, 2004
Good news!! I put all of the new stuff on cleaned everything and rode yesterday and it ran awesome. I rode with precauitons earlier on to see if it would stick and it didnt. I got back into the zone and was flying yesterday. Thanks for all of youir help, oh yea i also rerouted the cable it looked like it was getting crushed under the gas tank thanks fro everything! R.J I'm going to go ride rigth now I'm dressed as we speak lol bye.

Top Bottom