Help with power valve

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
I just finished replacing the little lever at the bottom of the kips shaft on my 96 KDX 200 after breaking it. Is the valve supposed to snap closed after being opened manually. I'm opening it by rotating the little gear clockwile with my fingers. I seem to remember it closing on it's own when I checked it last year.

kaw Bill

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
the arm is what snaps the PV shut, if its off the gear sticking out of the cylinder will move back & fourth by hand.

what dealer did you use to get your parts so fast???

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
If you have not installed the "claw" gear on the end of the advancer shaft yet, then there's nothing to snap the PV shut. The spring that does that is located on the advancer mechanism behind the right engine cover where you replaced that little arm.

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
every thing is together except the advancer lever cover. the side cover is on. the claw gear is in place. when i move the claw gear towards the front of the engine and the powervalve opens then i let go it doesn't snap shut again.

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
with out the claw gear in place, how hard should it be to turn the powervalve gear by hand. should it move super easy?

xpwarrior

Jan 14, 2001
It won't move super easy because of the spring loaded check ball on the opposite side of the motor. It puts enough resistance on the system to help hold it closed until around 6000 rpm. If your valves are clean but are not moving right when the bike is running take a small flat washer and add it to the bolt for the check ball. This will take some tension off and let everything move. After a few runs and everything gets oiled good and seated in you can take the washer back out. This at least worked for me.

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
the valve on the end of the main shaft was over torqued. I noticed this after completely disassembling the power valve assembly. I thought it was pretty tight when I loosened it. after reassembling everything the main shaft moved much more freely.

kaw Bill

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by kaw Bill
the valve on the end of the main shaft was over torqued

Just out of curiosity, how did it come to be over-torqued? Was that something a shop /dealer did?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…