help with purchase decision of 01 KX500

Hybrid

Aug 26, 2004
Hey guys I had originally intended all along on getting a new bike after selling my 91 KX250, but this beast just came accross my path for what I think is a good deal.

Its a 2001 KX500 for $2700.00 Canadian.

This is the add:

This bike is in very good shape comes with a brand new tire not instaled yet, 909 bars,powermadd hand guards,msr pants and shirt, fox boots,bag,thor gloves, stock hand guards , 500 titanium studs for the tires,stock bars, spare front fender,new tail pipe, new full top end replacement, piston kit, cylinder(re-sleved) will be put on soon, gaskets also comes with other cylinder needs to be re plated, bike is in overall good condition needs nothing very fast bike. Need to sell make an offer.

34816301237.jpg

34816322156.jpg

34816303732.jpg

Deal is it need a top end job, the cylinder might need to be electrofused again, but it comes with another cylinder sleeved with an L.A. Sleeve. So I'm told the only thing it needs is a top end kit and rear sprocket and new year tire.

Thats pretty much it.

What do you guys think?

Hybrid

Aug 26, 2004
I think I am prepared to offer him $2500 canadian for it. The piston kit is $235 canadian, rear sprocket it $50 canadian, a lever.....well thats not a show stopper. I think for $2500 it would be a good deal, espcially with two jugs, one sleeved and the other one stock which I can send to the US to get electrofused again.

The bike has only had three owners including the current one, and so I"m told only two rear tires. I think it was used for alot of ice racing.

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
I love mine. I was looking for an orange bike cause I got a thing for euro bikes, but ran across an 02 for $2500 US. It's a thrill junky's dream!

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
It probably spent most of it's life as an ice bike,as the plastic doesn't appear to have the usual scuffs/scrapes that a bike that age would collect. One other reason is that not many people find the kx 500 to be a "trail friendly" motorcycle. personally I'd look for a good 2 fiddy, but do what ever blows your hair back. :coocoo:

Hybrid

Aug 26, 2004
yeah well I don't race, I more like to play than any thing. Plus I like the power, or as dales298 put it "thrill junky's dream".

rob129

Jun 27, 2004
A 500 is a great trail bike! I have 2 CR500's and ride singletrack with both. Throttle control is a must. Once you have that down everything else is easy.You also have the option to gear it down and put a flywheel weight on. I rode with a friends son on a pw50...I putted my CR500 geared 14/47 all day with him. You can tractor them around...wack the throttle open and you'd better be hangin on. One last plus......I watch guys chainsaw their way up a hill on their 2-fiddy......I idle up my way up. ;)

Jan 12, 2006
Im sure a two-fiddy cant be that bad. Ive got one, and really and truly, the rear tire just spins all the time. On any dirtbike with some kinda balls. You can only use so much power in the dirt, with our traction issues.... If youre in the band and i am too, wheelspin will be so massive, that it really dosent make too mcuh a difference. Oh and youll get worse gas mileage and weigh 25+ pounds over a two fiddy. Im not hating on you 500 riders, because they are bad f-ing ass. Who agrees with me?

rws

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
I dunno how much canadian money is from america, but I definitely wouldn't pay that much for that KX 500.

I paid $3,000 (american) exactly for mine, and its a 2002 that only had been ridden like 5 times. The whole thing was still stock except for a pro circruit pipe and pro circuit factory sound silencer (which is exactly what I would of put on it anyways lol).

Hell, the thing was used so little that the original back tire was still on it, and it wasn't even worn hardly at ALL. The only gripe I had with it was that the 2 decals on the gas tank had started to bubble, so I just replaced them. Those puppies cost like $50 a peice though.

I wouldn't pay more than like $2,000 american for that bike.

BTW I bought mine off of e-bay in case you are wondering. Same place I bought all my other toys too. I always find great deals eventually.

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
REARWHEELSLIDER said:
Im sure a two-fiddy cant be that bad. Ive got one, and really and truly, the rear tire just spins all the time. On any dirtbike with some kinda balls. You can only use so much power in the dirt, with our traction issues.... If youre in the band and i am too, wheelspin will be so massive, that it really dosent make too mcuh a difference. Oh and youll get worse gas mileage and weigh 25+ pounds over a two fiddy. Im not hating on you 500 riders, because they are bad f-ing ass. Who agrees with me?

rws

I think both my 250 and my 500 KX are great on the trails personally. And I haven't even done any mods to em other than pro circuit pipe & silencer. Heck, I don't even use a lowend pipe ether; I actually use a HIGH end pipe LOL. That is pretty much the opposite of what most people use for trails.

Personally I think its easy to ride ANYTHING on the trails, no matter what the set up, but you do gotta be good at throttle control and judging things, etc. Like for instance, when I went up steep, ROCKY friggin hills with my 250, which had a bald backtire at the time, I couldn't let it get below like 5 or 10 MPH or else I'd be pushing it up the hill :) And I'm not talking from lack of power, I'm talking from spinning and smoking my bald tire :) I've since put a brand new one on though lol.

Hybrid

Aug 26, 2004
well 2k usd is 2,318.00 canadian, am I'm actually prepared to offer $2200ca for the bike as it stands now with out the spare sleeved cylinder, $2500ca with the spare sleeved cylinder. This bike hasen't had much use at all, as far as I know only two rear tires have ever been used on the thing. For all I know the cylinder might not need replating, could just need a top end job.....such is life with any 2 smoke.

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
Hybrid said:
well 2k usd is 2,318.00 canadian, am I'm actually prepared to offer $2200ca for the bike as it stands now with out the spare sleeved cylinder, $2500ca with the spare sleeved cylinder. This bike hasen't had much use at all, as far as I know only two rear tires have ever been used on the thing. For all I know the cylinder might not need replating, could just need a top end job.....such is life with any 2 smoke.

Hmmmm I'd prolly grab that 2001 up then :)

Its hard to find a newer KX 500 like that it seems.

Yea, they are all the same after 1990 (other than the decals), but still :)

rmrider125

Jan 13, 2006
looks like a good deal to me. the only bad thing that i have heard about them is that its quite a chore to take them on a track, but that was jeff emig when he race one in the motocross des nations back in the day.

Hybrid

Aug 26, 2004
So guys the deal is for $2000 or $2100 canadian which is $1725/$1800 usd. Plus he is throwing in some crap with it:

pants
shirt
frnt tire
frnt fender
guards (powermadds)

That I'll probably just sell anyway to fund new riding gear for myself. Its winter here now so I have about 2 months to get her where I want her.

I'm not racing it, just trails, woods and farm roads, hills, gravel and snad pits, just general rip your arms off fun...........besides being the last in the pack sucks don't it ;)

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
Hybrid said:
So guys the deal is for $2000 or $2100 canadian which is $1725/$1800 usd. Plus he is throwing in some crap with it:

pants
shirt
frnt tire
frnt fender
guards (powermadds)

That I'll probably just sell anyway to fund new riding gear for myself. Its winter here now so I have about 2 months to get her where I want her.

I'm not racing it, just trails, woods and farm roads, hills, gravel and snad pits, just general rip your arms off fun...........besides being the last in the pack sucks don't it ;)

Buy it. Also, its gonna be perfect for what you plan on using it for.

Come to VT and go riding sometime so I wont be the only guy with a KX 500 :)

Hybrid

Aug 26, 2004
Well I got it. $1850 canadian.

the bike is in real good condition, I'm very impressed. Now is the task of tearing it down and bringing her back to where she should be ;)

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
Hybrid said:
Well I got it. $1850 canadian.

the bike is in real good condition, I'm very impressed. Now is the task of tearing it down and bringing her back to where she should be ;)

You are gonna love that thing. Now stop calling my KX 500 fat just becuase you don't like the fenders & seat :P

Top Bottom