Help-Yamaha Customer Service is Useless

Domtomac

Dec 19, 2000
Yamaha had a RECALL NOTICE on '00 YZ-250's The flange on the throttle pulley is too small - cables slip off holding the throttle open. I learned this in 03 and I stopped at a dealer-they knew all about it - told me to bring in VIN# and they'd give me the part. But I broke my wrist soon after and didn't ride anymore in 03, Then in the winter of '03 I bought a rebuilt YZ125 and rode it in 2004. I sold the 125 this spring and was prepping the 250 (install a new throttle cable bought in 03). Figured it would be a good to install a new pulley too so I went to the dealer (Northshore in Eastlake, Ohio) to pick one up. Well, they really dumbed up in 2 years! No one there knew anything. They gave me a Yamaha service # (800) 962-7926 so "I" could call. I called the number and after 5 min of menus, garbage, etc., the machine hung up on me-I was told the lines were too busy!!. I COULDN'T" EVEN HOLD ON IF I WANTED TO! The message also told me my dealer "was the best source of info" (right!) and to "check the web site." I went to the website I learned it wasn't accepting emails and was referred me back to the number that just hunk up on me!!!
If ANYONE has info on this recall please let me know!
YAMAHA - I've liked your bikes but if this is how you treat customers regarding safety issues, maybe I'll look at Honda next time? Also, consider yourself "on notice" should my throttle stick and I'm injured as a result!!!

B

biglou

This recall comes up from time to time. If your local shop isnt any help, and anyone knows the part numbers, might be just as fast (and relatively inexpensive) to order online from DGY or someone like that. Matter of fact, you might try to call them about the recall.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
I had a couple of spectacular crashes as a result of this issue, not aware that there was a recall. There were a few models affected in various years. I paid the $10 to get it from the dealer, since mine was clueless, too. Cheap insurance. Here's a link to the recall notice: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml02/02505.html

Now that the bikes are a few years old, the combination of the undersized pulley and sloppy/binding cables make the possibility of injury even worse. While you're replacing the pulley, throw on a shiny new throttle cable and route it properly.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I had them answer one of my e mail's. Only one. I sent one in in reference to my YZ 250. I claimed I had translated my message into japanese so the engineers would understand. I said..."This Yz no shiftee worth a fu**ee..."

They answered. Never anything else.

The dealer here gave me a new pulley and a new throttle cable. The cable was only supplied if the old one was frayed. I said, yes, mine is.

I dont believe I would worry a lot about it. The new pulley was not much different. I believe they safety would be helped as much by cleaning and lubricating the onl pulley.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
I posted this on another (similar) thread yesterday. The part number for the new style rotor pulley is 5NY-26273-00-00

The new pulley is a bit thicker than the original, and leaves less space between the plastic housing and the wheel, thereby reducing the potential for the cable to jam between them. While you're mucking around with the pulley, clean the throttle tube out to make sure there's no sandy garbage exacerbating the sticky throttle issue. If you've got handguards or have cut the ends of your grips you may have grit in the throttle tube area. If you find some, make this part of your maintenance regime.

I can still recall the sensation of landing from a jump in 3rd gear with my bike (on autopilot) screaming wide open, spitting me on the ground, and watching it take off like a scalded wolverine until it looped out and died of unnatural causes. It would have been 70% more entertaining if it hadn't been my bike. Make that 80%, because I was too dizzy to fully appreciate the view.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Probably not much help, but, the dealership should be able to check any recalls/warranty issues w/i the Yamaha domain. All they need to do is use the year/model or VIN to pull up this info regardless of anything else. Whether or not they will install the said parts at cost is beyond me (motorsports). I'm a Yamaha tech but on the water side (boats/outboards/etc.). It's still Yamaha. The dealer can call a different number related to recalls/warranty to check specifics when they have tech question. The customer number is provided for your use but can be problematic (just like when you call anyone these days). There's a few nuts (customers) out there that cry wolf at every little problem. I'm not on the Yamaha bandwagon by any means, oh no, I ride Hondas and my boys ride Yamis. I just think persistence on your part is what it will take. If the local dealer won't "deal" then go to another one if you can.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
can't you print the recall info from the gov't site and bring it to the dealer and have them see the part that says "bring it to dealership..."?

Domtomac

Dec 19, 2000
Thanks

Thanks for all the useul info. The PN and link to the Gov't recall site should do the trick.
Thanks again, Dom

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
Domtomac,

Not to get too far off here but such things as this is why I ended a 20+ year relationship with the blue bikes. I jettisoned everything blue. Bikes, ATV's, Snowmobiles, engine in a Midgit Racecar, Computer Speakers, everything! Since then I have been riding green and orange and haven't looked back. I cannot knock the blue machines. They were very dependable and did what they were designed to do exceptionally well. But the lack of customer service just finally left a bitter taste in my mouth that I could no longer swallow. I'm sure there are those who have good service somewhere but I have lived in five states and I can't abide by them anymore.

Top Bottom