Bstringham

Jun 25, 2018
I’m hoping someone can lead me in the right direction. Haven’t had a dirt bike in years. Met a guy with a yz 250. Go and itch and bought it. When I rode he bike it seemed like the throttle was smooth goin threw the gears. kinda voilent. Pretty jerky. He told me that the clutch cable was to long and he gave me another one that he ordered. Am I going in the right direction by changing the clutch cable?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
When I rode he bike it seemed like the throttle was smooth goin threw the gears. kinda voilent. Pretty jerky.
Uhh... seems contradictory?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If the clutch cable were too long you'd notice an issue as you were feeding the clutch out from a stand still or trying to get it into gear from neutral. If the clutch is slipping under load you'd notice the engine revving without the normal forward movement.

If the engine isn't smooth during throttle transitions that is likely to be a tuning issue. Jetting and the operation of the power valve will tend to have the biggest impact once you are rolling along.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I would start with making sure your clutch cable was adjusted properly. Turn the adjusting barrel so you have just a little play when the lever is fully extended. Probably want the gap between the lever and the perch to be about the thickness of a nickel. If you can't get it to adjust properly then you probably do have the wrong cable on it. In that case if you can see the part number of the new cable the guy ordered, call Yamaha and verify it is the correct cable. Install and adjust. After that you can chase down other issues.

Top Bottom