Hey eric! i have a sweet cylinder

TechKid

Apr 30, 2002
I was taling to my dad about who is the best person fort cylinder porting (my dad has been involved in racing since he was 16).He said he used to race with this guy named eric gorr and said he was fast and that he was also a real good tuner.My dad said he used to live around here. My brother raced an 89' RM125 back in 1990-91. My brother got pretty fast and DGY wanted to sponser him on a honda.Well before that, my dad had eric port his RM cylinder.My dad still has the cyl. because my brother seized it.I was looking on the cyl. and just likje my yz cylinder, it has that litlle G stamped on it but unlike my YZ instead of being number in the 3,000's, it had number 19 stamped on it next to the G.Does this mean it is the 19th cyl.?Just somethimg id thought id put on here.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
The numbers that you are reffering to indicate the casting batch and the plating batch. The manufacturers group parts into limited number of batches, lets say 100 pieces. Then they conduct a quality inspection on just one part per 100. If that part fails inspection they pull the whole batch and check them to locate a flaw in the manufacturing process. Casting and machining a cylinder is much different than electroplating and honing a cylinder. Thats why there is usually two sets of numbers or scribings on a modern cylinder.
Sometimes a manufacturer doesn't discover a quality problem until the motorcycle has several engine hours on it. Take the case of the 1989 Honda CR125. Honda recalled many of those cylinders months after the bike was released. They instructed the dealers to locate all the customers with the bikes and recall the cylinders. But the big problem with dirt bikes is people buy them from dealers out of state in order to skip paying the sales tax. In that case warranty recalls can't be performed because the bike was never registered. And the other problem is that motorcycle dealers don't like to work on dirt bikes, especially to do free warranty work.
Thanks, Eric

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom