rotoracer

Jul 26, 2003
hi im 15...i ride with my friends offroad and trails so moto-x is completely outta the picture. i dont like the idea of havin a 2 stroke bc of pain-in-the-ass rebuilds and such. im 5foot 6inches about, and weigh 130 lbs. i learned how to ride on friend's crf230, but i was tippy-toeing it (im pretty short).

so the question is wuts good 4 me rite now? i want somethin that wont bore me out, and cost me too much (i plan to buy used). rem. to factor reliability, price, and learning curve into the picture.

Thanks,
Gary

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Well, there are tons of options.

But the biggest factor in all this is the price..

The whole 2-stroke issue.. Its not hard to maintain a 2-stroke. You think it is, until you get one and realize that it really isnt any big deal at all.

A Kawasaki KDX 200 is what I have, its a 2-stroke offroad bike. I think its the perfect bike. But then again, it retails for 4000$ but can be found a couple years used for about a grand less.

However, You say you learned on a CRF-230, and you were tippy toing it, then a KDX might be a little too big. But then again, you will have to learn to grow into it. Some people like their bikes a little small to begin with, but the biggest problem with that however, is that once you master the bike, you will wish you have gotten bigger..

Otherwise, If your looking into a 4-stroke offroad bike, Hondas CRF-150 might be a good tiny step down from that 230, and I would also look into the Suzuki DRZ 125, Yamaha TTR 125, and the Kawasaki KLX 125. They are all fantastic bikes.

rotoracer

Jul 26, 2003
so are you saying that two-stroke bikes aren't hard to maintain? I'm concerned with the idea of pouring a lot of money into a two stroke every year or so on a rebuild. I know they are also much faster and they also do have a much higher price. Compared to the 230f, the kdx200 is taller, shorter, or about the same? i will consider getting a two stroke now if it is not too expensive, as i am willing to learn how to keep it running.

thx a bunch
Gary

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Well, there is maintinance, but I cant tell you enough just how much I love my KDX 200. Its very fun to drive. Its nothing you wont mind. There is more maintance on a motorcross 2-stroke compared to an offroad 2-stroke though.

Excellent riding in trails, and I just LOVE riding through long open feilds and dirt roads. It also takes jumps pretty darn well.

I am about your height, but I can tell you that it is a little big, but then again, you do get used to it pretty fast. Check it out on Kawasakis webstie. Its not too much bigger than the CRF-230.

Also, check out this website:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

Alot of neat KDX info and a nice classified section too. I got a year old KDX and its fine. Deffinetly buy a year or a few years old if you want to save a bunch of money.

Again, maintinance shouldnt be a problem here really unless you really abuse the bike. I love riding a 2-stroke through trails, and being able to just fly through. Very fun stuff, I think you will love it, and you will make your friend jealous. Its also got front and rear lights and a pouch you can keep stuff in incase of an emergency.

And also, 2-strokes are actually cheaper than 4-strokes. Its a preference. Personally, I love the ride of 2-strokes. The throttle response is great, and they are just very quick. Deffinetly look into a KDX. I cant possibly rave anymore about the KDX. Excellent bike. :)

rotoracer

Jul 26, 2003
wow, thanks for the insight. im seriously considering getting one now, but i still have one question. it makes me cringe when people say that you have to rebuild every year or so. if this is true, i would probably learn and do it myself. Is it hard? And do the replacement parts cost much? i dont know much about two strokes so any info is appreciated.

thanks
gary

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
If you think maintainence is high on a 2-stroke, wait until you get the bill for a top-end on a 4-stroke. Forget-a-bout-it!

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
You should buy the service manual for whichever bike you get. It will have so much more info than the "user" manual. The service manual will give you a very good step-by-step procedure - with pictures - for changing the top-end.

Don't be intimidated - it's really very easy.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom