TheBax

Jul 17, 2009
I'm looking for a bike.
I'm 16, weigh 151 lbs, and am more or less 6' tall.
I've just started browsing these forums today, and i'm guessing an XR250 would be good?

i used to ride (JUST ride, thats it. Lol) when i was about 11 to 13 years old, but i sold my bike, and i can almost swear it was an '86 XR250...but i'm not 100%. i'm trying to find a picture, i know i have one somewhere.... =\

anyways, any help is much appreciated. =)

( also, i know it's a stupid question, but i have to learn somehow. What's the difference between 4-stroke and 2-stroke? thanks. )

<<< sticky questions >>>
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6 foot, and 151 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
i'm not gonna lie, pretty aggressive. Lol i like to have fun.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
all of the above (more of fields and woods with friends than anything, though)
4) Do you have any riding experience?
a few years when i was younger. i can comfortably get on a bike and ride, just can't jump anything. yet. Lol
5) Do you think you will race ?
probably in a year or two
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
ehh, sort of. My dad helps me, and he knows people, so basically, i guess.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
my last was a honda, i loved it..so yeah, Honda.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
nooo idea right now. I'm pretty sure i've seen a big dealer around here though.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
anything reasonable (imma just start saving when i get a job)
10) Do you live in California?
nope. Southeast Alabama
11) Your age?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
A 4 stroke has 4 movements of the piston to generate power, a 2 stroke only has 2. Much more detail available at:

Four stroke: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine1.htm

Two stroke: http://science.howstuffworks.com/two-stroke2.htm

In terms of how they feel when riding, a 2 stroke has a more abrupt power delivery that has very little low RPM power. A 4 stroke is usually heavier and has smoother power delivery.

We'll be riding for a couple hours Sunday at Mill Creek just east of Birmingham if you and your dad want to come try one of each.

http://millcreekmotocross.com/

I plan to be there from about 12-3.

TheBax

Jul 17, 2009
Thanks so much for the offer, High Lord Gomer, but i more than likely won't be able to go. My dads truck is in the shop, i'm low on gas, etc. =P My parents also MAKE me go to church...ew. D=
Anywho, i really really wish i could go, thanks for offering though. =)

those CRs seem to be more expensive...if i'm not mistaken...
EDIT:okay, some seem to be cheaper, i'm confused.
and can somebody tell me, what's the difference between the XRs and the CRs? thanks.
would it be better to get one of the CRs, as opposed to the XR?

( btw, i just remembered my old bike was an 80cc. I know it was honda, though, just not what kind. )

Last edited:

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
well the xr's, they are like tanks, you can crash them pin them, you could drop a nuke of them and they would still fire right on up!

cr's are motocross bikes, much faster, and more nimble handling, they are still very reliable but nothing is a s reliable as an xr.....

for you get a cr125, or an xr250

TheBax

Jul 17, 2009
i guess imma go for the CR125 then, seeing as it's gonna be cheaper.

Will that be good enough for me to "grow into" though? I plan on keeping the bike i get for a pretty good while...i don't wanna "outgrow" the bike in a few years, if i can help it.

J-man

May 16, 2007
You might be finding the CR125 for cheaper but it is a race bike, Most race bikes for sale need work done to the engine. A top end is usually a guarantee on used bikes these days.

Top Bottom