hi, new here with a few pics

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
Hello all; has been some time since hanging out with riders and riding forums. Quite racing a few years back, decided to spend more time with some other things. Used to enjoy photography a lot, many years ago. Last Spring got the bug again, with DSLR prices and performance so fairly reasonable.
Even started taking classes in photography at the local community college..including a film/darkroom class starting next week.

I am an Ex-TCCRA and Ex-TORO racer/wannabe, met many great people.

Y'all are welcome to critic any photos I post.
The last pic is from a Flattrack race.

Regards,
Bryan Speed

Attachments

• DSC_0875-1.jpg
    DSC_0875-1.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC_1256web.jpg
    DSC_1256web.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 311
  • _DSC0370web.jpg
    _DSC0370web.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 302

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Some nice stuff Bryan and welcome to the forums. For me I really try to be conscious of my backgrounds the first and third shots are both great shots that have issues with the background. On the first shot I may be wrong but it appears you tried to blur out the background in photoshop instead of with the aperture and it appears to be overdone especially the crowd on the right hand side. The third one is one I would likely try to do a slow speed pan with if I had that kind of background to deal with. You certainly appear to have the skills to pump out some real nice work though so I look forward to seeing more :cool:

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for the critics, and so true about the backgrounds :) I was experimenting in PS, made a copy of the image, blurred it fairly strong, made a hide-all mask and then brushed in the background.

It seems that the big decision to make is aperture vs. shutter speed. (isnt it always) getting some blur of spokes, etc., or blurrier backgrounds. Also have been thinking about the best distance and lens zoom, to lower the depth of field. The MX pics were ISO 100, and the light was strong enough to make the settings selection a compromise.... or so I think!

What do you think, arperture first, even if the shutter is oh, 1/1000th ?

Practice and experience ! just like riding
:ride:

for those interested, I use a D200. the MX pics I used a Sigma 50-150 f2.8, which seems to do well. The Flattrack pic I used a Nikkor 28-105.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I tend to favour the aperture first and foremost even shooting in ap priority instead of manual when shooting outdoors with lots of light and then make alterations for the effect I'm looking for. In the case of shot #1 a fast shutter speed was really a non issue for me anyway as you can't see much of the spokes and the flying dirt gives the implied motion to the shot from my perspective. Indoors for AX/SX is much different and I tend to shoot full manual.

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
thanks, next time out I will go for Aperture priority. intend to check out some DOF "calculations" as well.

Top Bottom