bike5

Aug 19, 2000
What does everyone pay a month for high speed internet? be cable or DSL or satelite. I just moved to the city opposed to being 35 miles from the nearist commericial building and I thought high speed access was cheaper then I find out it is going to be.

The best I could find was 150k/sec DSL none statistic line for $29.95 for 12 months (9 month contract)(SBC YAHOO DSL). After that its like 39.95 or 45 or something. I tried cable but they wanted $55 a month for comcast and earthlink DSL wanted $39.99. I swear I always heard it was around $25.00/mo. normal price? Maybe this was in the past when there was more competetion??

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I swear I always heard it was around $25.00/mo. normal price?
Actually, now there is more competition.

I pay 49/mth for 4Mbit cable (Cox) in OKC .. fast and flawless.
I pay 49/Mth for 1.5MBit DSL in Dallas, also very good, but cable is faster (at least in OKC)

Those are average prices pretty much anywhere.
Forget SAt, the only people that prefer it are those that can't get Cable/DSL. I had it for it a year, was much better than dial-up, but cable or DSL smoke it bad. Forget online gaming with Sat.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Comcast HS costs me $49/mo. as well.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Im paying 24.95 a month for sbc/yahoo dsl.. I will never go back too dial up..
Rick

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
I live in Baltimore MD, and I pay $40 a month for Comcast.
I couldn't live without it. Ive seen everything from 300 baud dial up (Im serious) on an old Atari to Comcast.
I remember at 300 bps you could actually see the letters of a line of text popping onto the screen one at a time...
:bang:

bike5

Aug 19, 2000
I guess all the prices I heard were "special deals" and I guess theres not that many good deals right now... o-well... I can't live with dial-up after using high speed for a while.

bike5

Aug 19, 2000
I was paying $55.00/mo. for DSL 38.4k/sec where I used to live. I was amazed they EVEN offered high speed up there cause it was so far from the city, and there was no competition but the local provider which is why it cost so much, damn local monopoly. At least it is less expensive down here, although not as much as I would like but thats life.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Okiewan said:
24.95 for Yahoo/SBC or any DSL for that matter is very low... keep in mind also there are different speed levels available. Even so, I'd have to guess that that price is not long term.

When i first signed up for dsl, it was $29.95 (had too agree too a one yr contract, then they offered it too me for $24.95 or maybe its $26.95.. I had too agree too a 1yr contract.. Come too think of it, its $26.95, my error.. Pretty cheap stil considering..
Rick

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Not really sure, how can i find out??

My local area status connection say "100.0mbps"
Does this help??

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Ask 'em.... Of course they (or anyone else) will only quote maximum possible speed, which is determined primarily (in the case of DSL) by your distance to a central office (switching station), then line condition and a few other lesser things.

I would ask:

1) How far am I from the CO (Central Office) and YES, they can tell you that.
2) What average speeds you should expect.

They OWE you those answers.

You can then check your speeds by going to http://dslreports.com and find their speed tests (they aren't 100% accurate, but close enough)

here is a link: http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=97
(that is a test to a server in Cali, so should be pretty accurate for you.
Here are the results of my test ( using a Cali server, pretty damn good) for reference: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest...a9a85d60890;3.0;www.dslreports.com/1095395052

This is my 49/mth cable connection, granted not prime time on the internet. It would be even faster at say 3 AM. Overall internet traffic can slow you down regardless of how fast your connection "can" be.

Tell SBC you want a connection like that and see what they want to charge ya :p

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Comcast digital cable = $35/mo.

Well worth the cost.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
It cost $300 US per month for what they call high speed service down here. To get this price you have to pay for 1 years service in advance.

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
$19.95 for Comcast Cable for six months, then they bill me $40 for two months and then I call up & threaten to leave for Verizon again and it's back to another $20 bucks for six months. This has been going on since Comcast bought AT&T cable services in Denton

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Mine is a combined bill so im not sure of the individual costs.

I pay about $100 month.

I get
basic cable
digital cable
something like 92 movie channels
modem lease
3m download
250k up
web space

I have tested a few times and average about 2800k down and about 240 up.

Top Bottom