wolfgangg

Nov 21, 2007
Hi i am a noob to mx and find it very hard taking corners fast. Mostly i am on the sandy side of other riders when cornering

wolfgangg

Nov 21, 2007
Any tips and help ? When do they brake in the corner ? Why does it looks like they are only using their bake brakes ? ect. What to practice about conering techniques ? Any help is good enougth for a noob :)

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
Well, the theory is to get on the brakes as late as possible and get on the gas as fast as possible.

The best way to learn imo is follow someone through a corner who is faster then you. You can learn what lines they take, when they brake and when they get on the gas.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
Oh yeah,

Practice! If you really want to figure out corners it will take a lot of practice.

One method that I really like is to set up a figure 8 in an open field somewhere and just run that circuit. It will help you practice left and right tight corners.

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
trial and error, practice practice practic. commit to what you are doing (i do not use the front brake going into a corner i seem to lose stability) watch videos of people cornering but dont expect to get great fast. it is a long process. slow down on the questions and practice more and focus on cornering, suspension setup, look way down the track not in front of you, weight the outside peg on turns. these are the things to learn first and master these and your own tecnique will arise and you will be great young grasshopper.

practice practice practice no amount of reading is better than doing you just need the basic rules for cornering then do it you will never get faster if you cannot master the slow corner (the faster you go the easier it really is for the most part it) all relys on YOU commiting to it and not having a doubt in your mind that it will go wrong

oh yea if you are looking where you DO NOT want to go, you will go there look ahead

defo26

Apr 23, 2007
U want to use the front break when going into a rutted corner. use both the front and back going into the rut because just using the back break will slow u down alot slower so u will have to break earlier. Using both will slow you down faster. Also you want the front tire to wash out a little bit and slide into the rut. When you get in the rut make sure you are parallel with the bike. When you lean the bike over make sure your body is leaning over with it and and the appex (middle) of the rut that is when you switch from breaking to get on the throttle but make sure you dont punch the throttle you need to have throttle control or you will make your back tire pop right out of the rut. This was all said by James Stewart in a Transworld motocross magazine.

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
If you have the chance be sure to take a class with a pro they will drill you through a corner over and over until you have the proper technique to move forward with a solid base of skills to advance.

D

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
The front brake is your best friend. A few years ago, we attended a 3-day Gary Bailey MX School. The FIRST thing he ran us through was getting comfortable with the front brake. For about a half an hour, he had us ride around a flat area, with the front brake LOCKED UP! When you tackle corners, start with doing almost ALL your braking with the front......while in a straight line, when you sit to initiate the turn, release the front and regulate the rear. An MX school will do wonders for you.

Dec 8, 2007
Just go out and practice. I almost always use both brakes, the front brake will stop you WAY better than the back brake. You can use the back brake to slide around, just pull in the clutch and hit the brake till it locks up, then turn, the bike will slide. For turns on flat ground, sit all the way forward and on the highside of the seat so that your more upright than the bike, put your inside leg all the way forward, keep your knee slightly bent, put alot of weight on your outside peg with your other foot, use as much power as possible without losing control.

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
push on your outter peg hard keep your body lined up with the seat of you bike.and in the middle of a turn never grab your front break.youll proly dump your bike.but going into a turn use it.and i dont even have to use either brake sometimes.just kick your back end out and slide it.and if not brake half way throuhg then gun it.might not help you but its how a ride and im decently fast.

Rice#67

Dec 17, 2007
Instead of using the back brake to slide your rearend into a berm, if going fast enough you can lean the bike right before hitting the berm and your bike will slide into to it. Have your clutch hand ready to power you out of it though otherwise your going over the backside of the berm. As soon as your back wheel hits the berm you pop that clutch and hit the gas!!!

jse31602

Jan 1, 2008
Front brake

ease up on the front brake thing. just use the back brake for now trust me. If you want to know what happens with the front brake find some soft sand and lightly use the front brake. Now think of doing that in a hard clay curve. :bang:

defo26

Apr 23, 2007
jse31602 said:
ease up on the front brake thing. just use the back brake for now trust me. If you want to know what happens with the front brake find some soft sand and lightly use the front brake. Now think of doing that in a hard clay curve. :bang:

You are supposed to use the front break going into the turn. You just cant grab a whole lot or your front end with slide out. Dont just use your back break. If you listen to every pro they will tell you to use the front break too. Look on transworld motocross james Stewart, Mike Alessi, Villipoto, Lawrence all say use the front break. You want the front end to drift into the rut.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Techniques for cornering differ from slow to fast, what works for a fast rider may not work for slower situations. It is all different. You need to PRACTICE, a lot! You need to learn how to go from wfo to a dead stop as quickly as you can. The figure 8 works great, especially in sand.

xkevenx

Dec 4, 2007
well i need to say when i folowed a rider faster than me and looking straight aheah i was much faster and it was just like riding on loose dirt was nothing. with lack of experiance i fell tough and pretty hard :p but i seemed to folow him pretty long.
so thats kinda my tip.

regal21guy

Jan 14, 2008
i approach corners with my elbows out , sit up on the tank , use enough back brake to slide you in but enough of the front to slow you down with out spitting you off than just hammer out of it .

fastrider11

Sep 2, 2007
THEY USE THERE BACK BRAKES harder and if you need to really slow down you use a LITTLE front when you need to.But when sliding in a turn you want to use your back brakes and lean and then throw it to it and blast out!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
For learning to go fast, good help is needed.......from a rider who knows how. An MX school is money well spent! I would question a message board on this one. Some advice is good, some is dumb.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom