racer65x

Aug 22, 2005
can anyone explain to me how to properly corner a 180. i have seen the fast guys roostin it thru the turn. just want some explaination as to body position, throttle and clutch technique. thanks, everyone!

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
It's very easy, use the SEARCH BUTTON AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!!!
There have been like 8,759,398,375 posts on this very topic.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Masterphil...a little late on the medicine, today? :p

I tried to search for "How to turn" and got way too much stuff that wasn't applicable.

Flat or bermed turn? Soft or hard? You mention a 180, so I assume it is tight.

One thing that takes some getting used to is putting your bike into a rut or berm and keeping it there.

What is happening now when you try it?

dante

Mar 24, 2004
well on the street it's all about ground clearance management... You hang off a little on the inside, throw a knee out... while keeping the lean angle as vertical as possiable incase you need to decrese your radias... But on the dirt that just does not work at all... Ground clearance is'nt as much a factor... Keeping the elbows up, and shifting your body weight on the outside of the turn, as if your trying to lean the bike over more than you have to... Also shift your body weight forward slightly... stay off the front brake, or use it sparingly... straighting that leg out too helps with balance... I'm not so sure why it works exactly... Maybe the leg out shifts some more weight over the front wheel a little, espessaly when the rear looses a little traction... It almost oppsite of what you do on the street, it's really wierd coming off the street, and learning to go fast at first... let us know about your progress...

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I hadn't yet taken my meds...

Basics:
#1 the absolute very most importantest thing ever ever: look through the turn. If you watch fast riders, this is likely the only technique that every single one of them will consistently do in all corners and conditions. As soon as you reach the entrance of the corner and "turn-in" you should be looking at the exit. Don't look at the rut you are trying to hit, dont look at your front fender, and most importantly dont look where you DON'T want to go or you will go there.
example- I am coming up to a left hand 180* turn with some good ruts in it. As I am braking/downshifting for the corner I am looking at the rut I want to hit, as soon as I stop braking and start turning I turn my head to the left and look at the exit of the corner. When I reach about mid corner my focus goes from the exit of this corner to the beginning of the next obstacle, be it a jump or another conver entrance. You want to look ahead as far as possible, you can only go as fast as you can see.

If you enter a lefty and are looking at that huge tree to your right that you dont want to hit, your body will be fighting itself and making that corner will be much more difficult. Just try it in your car sometime, you will be amazed at how much slower it feels like you are cornering when you look throught the corner.

#2 body position - Mostly depends on the terrain but here are some general guidelines
Scoot forward, almost touching the gas cap.
Inside leg out, always.
Elbows out, always.
Weight the outside peg, take some of the weight from your arse and support it with your outside leg, lowers the center of gravity.

no ruts - the bike leans over, your body does not, it stays straight up, or very lose to it.

Ruts and bigger berms - you lean with your bike

Unfortunitely there are way too many variables to consider without you telling us what the corner is like.

I think that should give you quite a bit to work on.

One thing that you might seriously consider is getting a lesson from a local fast guy, will be the most bang-for-the-buck that you have ever spent on motocross.

Last edited:

racer65x

Aug 22, 2005
thanks for all the great info!:)

thankyou all for taking the time to answer my question. that helps alot. coming off of roadracing everything is quite new and the learning curve is steep. you also have to look thru the turn when you are roadracing. i am having trouble with body position and general technique. just want to go faster , ya know. thanks again for all the great tips. see ya in the dirt!!

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Yea, it's nothing like road racing. In fact riding in the dirt will make you a better rider on the street. In the dirt, there is basically one solution to all of your problems, more throttle. When in doubt twist the wrist, dont try to fight the bike, and just go with the flow.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I'm pretty sure there will be several people to watch for how NOT to ride at the Shelby SX this Saturday night.

I might even swing by on the street bike to make fun of them.

There are some flat corners, some bermed corners, and maybe even a rutted one or two. You could definitely learn some from going to watch Saturday.

Top Bottom