Holding the bike with your knees.. Difficult!?

Ocr

Jul 13, 2001
Hey Guys,

Lately, I have been going to the track every weekend and have been working on techniques with friends.. jumping, corners, etc...

I see on here that a lot of you hold the bike with your knees, and this seems to be a very difficult task to perform while riding... I'm 5'10"... I don't think I'm too tall to do so?..

It seems that I just can't get it in my head to grip the bike with my knees.. I have the Ceet Gripper Seat Cover which helps my riding style tremendously.. but how can I go about getting used to doing this technique in a different manner>?
:D

Thanks very much,

Curt

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
When standin my nee's won't give much grip to the tank so I've learned to grip with the side of my leg. Practice, practice, practice. When I had to learn a new cornering technique that's all I had in my mind. Try remembering to hold on and after awhile it will be second nature.
CRG

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Curt, I though you were riding just fine last weekend. You just need to be a little looser in the air.
To grip the bike with your knees, push out on the pegs. Do not try to push in with your knees, you will just tire yourself out. Just push out on the pegs, and if they are sharp, the work will be automatically done.

BTW, I will most likely not be riding this weekend untill we get a good rain. Ed is away so the track will not be watered or groomed. Looks like I need to go sand riding. :(

Sometime, I will let you borrow my Gary Semics tapes or give you a copy. They really help alot. Next time you and I are at the track, bring a good stand that will support the weight of the bike with you on it and I will teach you some of the basics I learned that really improved my riding style and speed quickly.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The farther forward you get on the bike, the more your legs will have to hold on to.

Personally, I kind of squeeze with my calves...

...but then, personally, I think Elvis spends weeknights in my riding boots. :confused:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Ask any race horse jockey about using your knees. When we squeeze our bike, its because of your knees. Jockyes will tell you the same thing.
In reality, we usually have our knees above where the contact is made, but it's your knees doing the work.

I have to disagree with you on the push out only thing, Kawie. When we squeeze, call it knees, calves, legs, whatever....we take pressure and weight from our upper body, which actually helps to make us looser and more relaxed. Also helps to loosen our grips on the bars.
Try riding no handed while standing, first with just pushing out on the pegs, then try it (after youve gotten back up and caught your breath) while squeezing! :D

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Jaybird, not to start a war, but would you disagree with Gary Semics? He was the one who taught me that you will get much more tired pushing in with your groin and thigh muscles that you will by using the pegs and the lower part of your legs to your advantage.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Exerpt from Gary Semics' Absolute Techiques (Pro Motocross Off-Road Motorcycle RIding Techniques -D. Bales):

When standingin the central location, position your knee joints directly above your ankle joints. Squeeze the seat with your knees. When you move from this position, pivot from your knees where they squeeze the seat.......A lot of begginer riders fail to squeeze the motorcycle with their knees, causing them to feel loose and seperated from the motorcycle. In order to do the technique correctly, push out a little with your feet on the footpegs as you pinch with your knees. This will help you from straining the inside of your legs. Make sure your footpegs are sharp so your feet don't slip off. When you need to move through your range of motion on the motocycle, let your knees slide along the sides of the motorcycle, but still hold on to it with your legs. When you have mastered these techniques you will notice more control, better endurance, and more of a connection with your iron horse.

Kawie, as you see, I don't disagree with Gary Semics...just you. But you almost had it :)
BTW...have you tried the standing no hander I suggested with just pushing on the pegs?

Last edited:

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
[qoute]push out a little with your feet on the footpegs as you pinch with your knees. This will help you from straining the inside of your legs. Make sure your footpegs are sharp so your feet don't slip off[/quote]

This is exactly the technique I was speaking of. Guess I just worded it badly. We were on the same wavelength, almost.:) Gary explains it much better.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL, it's OK kawie, you simply misunderstood your lesson! :)
btw...DO push in with your knees. :D

Ocr

Jul 13, 2001
Thanks

I really appreciate all of your responses guys, but the thing I don't understand is that how can you push OUT on the pegs?.. When I'm riding I usually try as hard as I can to keep my feet ON the pegs, shift and break, rather than pushing out...

How can this be done?..

Curt :):think

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Well, use your knees against the bike as a "fulcrum" as sorts. When pushing in with your knees, your feet will press out on the pegs and help you stay on the bike better.

Top Bottom