hole in bottom of water pump..?

YZmoto915

Feb 25, 2007
hey guys, im back with another dee duh dee question...i was just riding today and when i was done i was in my driveway, stopped the bike, and looked down and there was a small puddle that seemed to be leaking from my water pump....so i get under and look at it later, and there is a hole there.....so i check it out and it seems to be a very smooth almost purposly placed hole ther, i took a nail and put it in there and moved it around and it was very smooth, so basically my questions are 1.) should there be a hole...2.)if so if there something that should be in there, or just leave it open, and 3.)if there isnt supposed to be a hole what can i do to fix it, my last resort being getting a new water pump...so any help will work, thanks...joey.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The hole is supposed to be there. You need a new water pump impeller. Go the the Yamaha.com site and look at the parts fiche for your bike and you'll have the parts and numbers to get what you need. Fairly simple fix.

YZmoto915

Feb 25, 2007
is this part like a plug...or screw or something???

and i live right down the road from like 2 shops so they would probably have them....

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Your impeller is probably fine, you need a new water pump seal. The hole is there to let you know that the water pump seal has failed. It dumps your coolant on the ground instead of in your case and contaminating your oil.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
it is a weep hole, and there is two seals i believe, easy fix with a screw driver and a 1/2" socket to push the new ones in place

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
It was late when I replied, it is likely the seals. Really a simple fix. Drain the radiators, remove the cover and gently pry out the seals. Tap the new ones in with I socket slightly smaller than the seal. Replace the cover and fill the radiators. It will take three times longer to think about it than to actually do it. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
it's pretty much a 20 min job to do it....

Top Bottom