LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
The day started for me at 4am when the power went out and woke me up... I lay in bed, my room much to hot without the fan on, thinking about going riding at Lake Summerville later that day. Visions of slamming into trees and wheeling out of control made me break out into a cold sweat. I feared the KX. Sitting out there in the garage ready to slam me into a tree at a moments notice. The power cam back on and I fell asleep to the “whir whir whir” of my ceiling fan.

8:45AM came and I woke up ready to face the day, after breakfast and a quick shower my dad and I prepped the bikes and got everything loaded into the truck. We arrive at Lake Summerville and a worried look finds itself on my dads face. In the parking lot there were quads, lots of quads. We unload the bikes and eat lunch. Finally ready to face the trails we warm up the bikes and take off.

I follow my dad across the parking lot and down into the first trail, I’m scared to death! I follow my dad hoping that I wouldn’t fall over or crash. We ride along the trail a little farther and see a quad with 3 people on it flip over while going down a hill, truly scary sight. We go along the trail farther and find a place to break, I lean my bike up on a tree and get a drink from my camelbak. I wanted to take some digital photos but I was shaking so badly I couldn’t hold the cam still, so I had my dad take a few photos and we went on our way again. Down some drop off and up again we went riding along the trails while I bashed the hell out of my clutch. I would use short bursts then hold the clutch in and coast along. After 3 miles of this we ended back up at the truck.

A quick snack later we were back out there again, exploring new and exciting trails. We went a new direction in search of a new tails and found one... The trail from HELL. Filled with steep drop offs, insane up hills and mud we were in a stick situation. We finally thought we had found our out we ended up at an impassable mud rut. We got off our bikes and very carefully walked them across the raised middle line of the trail. I would have to get stuck on a branch while walking my bike through but my dad came a running and helped me through. After a quick stop for photos we were off again. We found a nice quad free area and played around there for a while. I let my dad ride my bike and he just loved the power and weight. I would not be surprised to see him on a KTM 250E/XC very very soon. After blasting around the open area we headed back to the truck again. More food and drink...

We set out on the final loop of the day and headed down the middle trail. We hit the outer loop and I was really feeling good on the bike, nice and at ease. We made our way back to the quad free area and ripped around a while. My dad then finds a neat little trail off to the side behind some bushes. He takes off down the trail and I follow. A few turns later we come to a steep uphill and I fly up it with ease, then it turns and you hit a downhill that shoots you into a 13 foot high incline. Now this was intimidating for me, it goes up a nice incline for about 7 feet and then the rest was just straight up and smooth. After you made it to the top you would have to turn left. But going straight up and then turning isn’t really an option unless you want to hit trees... So I gas it start the turn and fly up it. WOW was that the most fun ever! The trail led out to an open area with 6ft tall berms that my dad and I railed. We were in the zone; we did 4 more laps around our little loop going faster and faster every time! By the last loop I was taking the off camber uphill left turn on the pipe and sliding the wheel then wheeling over the small whoops. We were flying, totally at easy with the bike I felt amazing. We stopped for a minute and lost our momentum, we had been riding for 4 hours and were getting tired. After about half the loop we were ready to call it good and head back. We finished the final half and loaded the bikes, snapped a few more pics and headed for home.

The day was great, I got to learn how to ride the green beast and get some good roosting time in with my dad. I am no longer scared of my bike; I just have lots of respect for it. I had a blast and look forward to going riding again.

Lee W.

woodsguy2000

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2001
Glad you had fun, but as you found out Somerville is not the best place for bike riders. Send me an email and I will get you in Outlaw trax for a day to see what you think.( your Dad too, of course) We are way better for bike riding with nice outdoor track and 14 mile h/s loop. Let me know. This is just outside of Huntsville. Checkout msra on the ton site. Rob

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Rob, you were there to look at my old XR wern't you? I might be mistaken... Well yeah, the Summerville trails are not that bike friendly, but if you search out the inner trails you can find some gnarly stuff! I think my dad was VERY surprised I stayed upright the whole time. Some of the trails into the gullys and such were just plain nasty! But my trusty KX just powered right up it all!!! I will drop you an email about Outlaw Trax, sounds like great fun...But do you have to have a spark arrestor?

craig_enid, I have pics ready to be posted in my album! I'll get them on real soon.

Lee W.

woodsguy2000

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2001
No that was my riding partner and his buddy. Outlaw is a private park, no spark arrestor needed. I can get you and your Dad in once as prospects and let you check it out.Very user friendly with one way marked trails and a fun m/x track. Let me know and will set up with landowner. Harescramble race w/e of the 2-3 of March so that is out. Rob

Top Bottom