wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
I practically live at this store. Usually going to the one near work on my lunch hour, but also frequenting the local store to my house. My flame is on the poorly managed store near work. Shelves are never stocked, items missing from boxes, stock in the wrong space, poorly stacked items that almost fall on you, the WORST help you could ever come upon in a store. NEVER a person thats actually interested in helping a customer out. If you have to ask for something, they tell you they'll be right back, then dissapear for breaks. I know your not making tons of money working there, but they really need to take a little more pride and interest in doing the job. At least 3 times last week, ( Im building a bathroom, and I know zip about plumbing), I tried to get some questions answered. It was impossible. I got zero information. This store is about as useless as you can get.
On the other hand, the store near my house, (thankfully) is great. People go out of their way to get you what you want, and if they cant help, they get you someone who can. That store is only open about 10 months, but its an amazing difference in the way its managed. Whats up with that?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I for one think that H/D has ruined the market place in construction materials. My beef is the people that bring their kids and turn them loose in the store. This is very dangerous. I know this isn't the H/D's fault but they cater to non professional tradesman and they foster the problem.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
don't forget about the warped lumber. They won't restock that size until some poor sap goes home with all of the ugly ones.

Note the large contrast in service/knowledge between the 20 year olds that have never owned anything daddy didn't pay for, and the 68 year old retired construction guys (who have built and owned multiple houses) working part time for fun.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I'm a new home owner and have some thing that I need to fix. I am about to rebuild a bathroom with cermic tile shower. New shower pan and all. I'm at home depot enough. I have already found out who to ask for help and who not to ask. The resident plumer guy is pretty good I have found out someone to ask for in most other departments. I sure this is going to be a realy interesting project with many hurtles. The store by me work is pretty good. There is only Home Depot here (there is a Lowe's near by) so if I don't like the Home Depot I'm hosed or have to drive about 2 hours each way to the nearest one. I'm not a big Lowe's fan at all unless im going for bolts. I'm glad the store near me id decent. I think that you will find that at any large chain.

Try asking for help at walmart sometime! I wanted to drag a customer service manager (poeple in the red vest at the checkouts) out of the store and trash the punk in the parking lot. Its a SuperWalmart. The doors on that side close at 11:00 and at 15 till this punk wanted me to go to the other side and wait in line and check out , then walk all the way back across the parking lot out front of the locked doors where my truck was . I explained this to him and also that I had two items and was paying cash. I made big scene in the store after being polite and explaining that those doors had 15 minutes and being told "Sorry dude and yes that what you will have to do". For a store that advertises friendly help it does not seem right. I e-mailed the store manger (also payed a personal visit). I have not seen the little punk in there the last couple of times. I hope that they released he was manager material and have demoted him properly.

Poeple just don't want to be helpful. I think that if you don't like to interact with the public on that level then you should look for work elseware in a different field. I feel the same about resturant help. If I ask for something or come in 10 minutes before close and I get rolled eyes or a bad attitude I usually leave a note for the manager or speak with him.

Last edited:

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
My brother, a former professional carpenter hates places like HD and Lowes. He was doing some work for me when we bought our present house. We went to Lowes(25 miles away) to get a price on side lights for the front door. They said $350 and two weeks. The quality was middle of the road. My brother laughed at the guy and we left.

We then went to a home town lumber yard, three miles from the house. A very small place with about a 20 X 20 showroom. They looked through a catalog and found them. Top of the line quality $320. I thought fine but how long of a wait. The guy had a bad look on his face and said in a embarressed way that it would be Thursday before he could get them. It was Tuesday. So my big brother was right, don't tell him. I don't want him to get the big head.:)

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
With the heavy discounting that HD has been doing lately, I have a feeling that they're gonna be the next home improvement store to go under!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Originally posted by ktmboy
With the heavy discounting that HD has been doing lately, I have a feeling that they're gonna be the next home improvement store to go under!
Are you kidding?! Home Depot is the darling of the retail industry... one of the few with sales growth this year, with a solid bottom line as well.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
Retail

Home Depot is not the only one. In my area, Lowe's, Sears, and just about ANY large retailer have poor customer service. I have come to expect it, and when I receive what I deem to be "good service," I consider it a bonus.

The place I seem to be treated best is at the local gas station when I go in to buy a $.50 candy bar and a $.99 pop. :confused:

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
Im in this game too..as a professional tradesman I hate home de-pot..They usually dont have what your looking for unless its a REAL common item..I perfer to support the MOM & POP shops, sure you pay about 10% more but most of them have a clue and they LIKE having your business....And they stock all the wacky, odd ball stuff....

Cooperate America...

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Originally posted by motometal
don't forget about the warped lumber. They won't restock that size until some poor sap goes home with all of the ugly ones.

How true this is. Usually, the only pieces left are ugly, unless you get there the day after a new shipment comes in.

Im hoping that since a new Lowes store has opened up here, (20 miles away), it will give HD something to worry about. They DO know they are the darlings of the industry, but this might be the kick in the pants they need.
Went into the local store yesterday to pick up my shower stall, and the box I wanted was stacked almost up at the ceiling. Took about ten minutes for the guys to get it, but no eye-rolling "Your kidding me, right pal?" looks. At least while I was there!:silly:

MTRIDER- I also prefer the local hardware store for the wacky stuff. Electrical, etc. But the convenience of the HD's makes me go. If I can, I try to hit the lobster shift stores. Usually the guys are half asleep, and appreciate you "waking" them up to do something!

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
You are right about the level of danger at HD. There have been a number of people killed and maimed there by falling merchandise. I dread shopping there as the lines are long and the service is poor. I shop at a local hardware store, or at Orchard Supply. OSH now carries Craftsman tools, and they have much better sell prices then Sears, and the staff there actually bugs me by constantly asking if I need help. For a large chain they actually offer good service, though their lumber selection is almost non-existent.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I think maybe geographic location may play a part in this. I live in a large metropolitan area and there are scads of home builder supply stores including more than one Lowes, Home Depot, and 84 Lumbers. These stores all seem to be fine. I've not had any of the trouble I've seen posted here at any of them.
I've never had one problem of returning warped lumber to Home Depot, nor have I ever seen them return warped lumber to the pile.
I get TOO much help at the closest Home Depot to me. Seems like you can't even get down an aisle without someone asking if you need help.
As far as prices go, all I have to do is state the prices I was quoted at another store and just about all of the local lumber yards will deal.
Stores are only as good as the people working there.

I agree with Okie, in that if you are interested in buying stock in a lumber retail, there is none like Home Depot to make money. And our stock market has a habit of weeding out the true crappola companies in America.

btw....when we have a real techinical problem or want to buy a hybred part or service for our bikes, do we depend on our dealers? Usually not....we tend to go to proffesionals involved in that particular niche. Perhaps the lumber game is the same.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
I live 3 miles from and shop at the busiest Home Depot in the world. Not the biggest square foot, but their highest revenue store.

They do fine by me most of the time as joe average homeowner. They did screw one fellow DRNer Arlis though. He had a momentary lapse of reason and allowed them to install his new kitchen. Big mistake.

Bottom line, in order for their price to be competitive and make some margin on the deal they have to use substandard contractors for the work. Guys who can't make it on their own and work for outfits like this that hand them work.

The good news is though Home Depot has enough sense about managing their image that when Arlis billed them back for his overseeing time and fixing of things they screwed up, Home Depot actually deducted it from the amount he owed them!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I agree with the warped lumber but you have to work with it. Think spiral staircase!:)
Elk

P.S. I like the hotdog stand out front and the free tie down string!

Kawi250Kid

May 23, 2001
I use to be a cashier at home depot. Here in Huntington Beach, if you werent friendly or helpful, you were fired. In training they go over customer service for about 8 hours. If you have a problem with anyone at home depot, talk to the store manager, or any manager. They will usually take care of it. In a little time, you will notice a difference in the way they treat customers.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
My HD complaint is all the stores near me (I'm equal distance btwn two)

Is HD around here do not stock METRIC bolts. None, zip, nada.

Off to Ace or Lowes I guess.

Arby

Mar 19, 2001
Beware of national chains. They cut prices on big ticket items but they make
up for it in other places. Yes you can save a few dollars on a toilet but you
better compare the prices of the pipe and hardware required to install that
toilet. I would suggest comparing prices on all items,,not just the big items.
If you were to get an itemized job quote from them and compare to a local
supply house I think you would be suprised what the totals would tell you.

They would like to put all of the local stores out of business. Can you imagine
how their prices would be if they were able to do that??

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I've run into this while installing my sprinkler systems. If I had purchased everything at one store, I probably would have spent over $100.00 more. Timers cheaper at one store, but control valve and pipe cheaper at the second, then the third store has the best price on heads!
It's a pain in the butt, but you really need to compare prices on high ticket items or big projects.

LVMarc

Oct 11, 2001
Here in las vegas, Home Depot is almost it. 84 lumber--gone, home base--gone, builders square---gone, paylesscashways--gone, lowes we have 2 but who knows. I just see it coming, "Welcome to Home Depot, how much is it you ask....How much you got?:p "

--marc

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Hey KTM, what do you water out there, the sand or the dirt??!!!:):)

Elk, in plush Anaheim Hills!

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Believe it or not, we can actually grow grass out here. (Just like all those golf courses in Palm Springs.) Without the vegetation we'd end up with more dirt IN the house than outside!:scream:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I don't think cactus is classified as vegetation, more like a deterent!:):)

The only reason you have dirt IN your house is because your pumpkin bike is parked INside!
Elk

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by motometal
Not true. My father-in-law was helping me build an out building (shed) and he went through like 30 2x4 studs and rejected them all. He told the guy to pull down another pallet and then we selected the wood we wanted out of that. They will pull it if you ask.

We just moved from Greensboro and the HD's up there were terrible and the Lowe's stores were great. In Charlotte it is the total opposite. When you ask were to find something in Lowe's the guy either says to find someone in that department, or it's on isle 16. In Home Depot, the guy or girl will say "Follow me and I'll take to to where it is."

Howser03

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
I used to hate home depot. My dad would never get a cart so I was always forced to hold 70+ pounds worth of stuff for hours while he hand selected ever piece of wood or nail. The store was always so hot too so that didn't make the experience any better. Whenever I go home now he still loads me up, but everything seems a lot lighter now :cool:

Top Bottom