Homemade Pipe Guard Followup + All New Plastics

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
Thought you might like to see another homemade pipe guard following "fatty_k's" instruction last month.

I'll recap for those who didn't see it. I started with foil around the pipe, then 4-5 layers of resin and fiberglass. The difference is I didn't buy a kit, everything seperate. That way I could buy "high-temp" resin called "Vinyl-Ester".

Next, after sanding (usually after 2 coats) and trimming to size, I imbedded 2 hose clamps, followed by 4-5 more layers of glass, with sanding and trimming. Last layer of only resin included a special hardener and black pigment (no painting needed). So far it's remained very hard and color won't scratch off.

I've posted 3 pics under the "Members Galleries" showing guard, along with all new plastics, including black Maier MX rear fender and green side panels and number plate with black backgrounds I cut from sheets baught at local bike shop. All gives the bike a completely different look. Also polished forks and swing arm.

If you try this, don't work in shorts and T-shirt like I did. Itches like ****. Good luck.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
aah... good ol fiberglass-itis. It is very very annoying! I get it all the time during the summer, those rope holders on most docks are made out of fiberglass, and when they bake in the sun for 15 years... it can get awful messy!

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
Black Tank???

Is that a black tank you have? If so where did you get it? And Cost? I have done about the same thing to my bike except my shrouds and complete numberplates are black and I have Blackout on the tank but your tank looks much better, and more the way I want mine. Thanks in advance.

Obie #8 ;)

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Bike looks awesome.

Pipe guard looks bettter than the FRP model I have. Sell me yours...

Where did you get the front number plate? Year/model?

Last, remove those pansy stock shroud graphics (no yellow allowed) and go with some black fmf and race tech or other???? die cut's.

Your bike looks great, nice job. Mojo for you.... ;)

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
Owenlo (and others) - The tank is actually the original green one. I tried painting, but bubbles appeared after a while, so I stripped it and (don't laugh) colored only areas that show from outside with 2 carefully applied layers of black permanent marker :eek: .

RTL - Any late model KX front plate will work after cutting and fitting. Shops sell various colors. As for the graphics, I know they look lame, but I haven't found anything I like yet. Can't put on FMF graphics when I have a Pro Circuit pipe, now can I? :D I haven't seen Race Tech's graphics yet, but will look into.

Thanks for comments everyone.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Hey Cactus Jim, I am going to attempt another pipe guard, usuing the vynil ester and tint. I am still having problems with the resin melting onto my pipe. One question, do you have a layer of tin foil lining the inside of the pipe guard, or is the vynil ester high temp enough that it dosn't melt?

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
fatty_k ....... Yes, there is 1-2 layers of foil under the glass & resin. I have ridden the bike many times in temps into the 90's without any sigh of softening at all. The color within the resin seems to be working out OK as well. The only thing I've noticed is that it's not quite as shiny as original, but it still looks great with only a few scratches and rock chips (hardly noticeable).

Good luck with your next one. I'm very pleased with this one and thanks for the idea and advice.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Ok, thanks Jim. I was thinking of maybe laying a layer of fiberglass mat or a heat resistant material like Kevlar or Mylar, inside the guard instead of the tin foil. I also want to experiment with carbon fiber, but thats a little pricy to be "experimenting" with. :think:

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Hey Jim, could you give me a brand of the vynil ester? I went to a fiberglass shop and they said they have never heard of the stuff before. :think:

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
fatty_k ...... I baught it at a plastics distributor who also carried fiberglass supplies. It's made by TAP Plastics and called TAP Marine Vinyl-Ester Resin. Don't forget to use the hardener, in addition to the catalyst for the last coat.

Let me know how it turns out. I was out today at around 95 degrees and it's still hard as a rock. Good luck.

Last edited:

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Alright Jim, thanks. I found the site with that product on it. http://www.tapplastics.com/fiberglass/polyester_resins/04_marine_vinyl.html

Also what kind of fiberglass fabric did you use? I see many differnt kinds available. http://www.tapplastics.com/fiberglass/fiberglass_fabrics/index.html

Could you please write me a list an post it back in this thread with available links, of all the different stuff you used? ie, fabric, catalyst, hardner, pigment. If its not too much trouble for you. I just want to know exactly all what I need to make another pipe guard.

Thanks a lot! :aj:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
very sweet! fattyK give these people a call Fiberglass Coating's 1-800-272-7890 there very helpfull and will to give all info needed. or you could call these folks 1-517-684-7286 Gougeon Brother's they produce west system epoxy. they have a web site and will anser the e mails westsystem.com between these two company's they should be able to point you toward a high temp resin.

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
fatty_k...... I baught everything at a local store called Tripp Plastics. They do have a web site, but only 2 stores in Nevada.
http://www.trippplastics.com/
The resin is TAP Marine Vinyl-Ester Resin (Polyester), the catalyst is TAP KEMP (for polyester resin), also TAP Surface Curing Agent (for polyester resin) and something called "Permanent PigmenT" (for polyester and epoxy resins) 1 oz bottle. Their prices were lower that those on TAP's web site. Don't forget the resin has around a 90 day shelf life. As for the glass, I used a loose weave (cheaper), but I think the tighter weave might be easier to work with.

Good luck, hope this helps.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Awesome! Thanks a lot. That really helped me out Jim. I think I might just get some heat resistant fabric and make another guard out of the regualar resin and stuff, but add the pigment and hardner. The fabric is on page 242 in the 2002 Dennis Kirk catalouge. I still want to make one with the viynl ester stuff, but Ill see how it goes. No shops around here have it, but I might buy it off of TAP plastics website. But thats kinda pricey, as I live in Canada. After shipping and exchange rate, it'll be alot more than a piece of heat resistant fabric.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I sent out some e-mails after my post & burned up the phone line to fiberglass coating's. after speaking with there tech person sounds like your right on track with the Vinyl-Ester Resin for highest temp resin. also the fine people @ west system sent me some mail, they said that they have made pipe guards out of there resin with carbon fiber ,& fiber glass. they said both worked fine. he said the epoxy is good till about 200 deg's, has anybody ever taken a temp reading of the pipe after a good ride? after the small amount of research I did, I think Vinyl-Ester Resin is the best for the guard do the it being able to be tinted. I'd like to try to do one with cabon fiber, just a little short on cash and time right now. I also spoke with fiberglass coating on what it would take to do some case guards, which of there products would be the the most usefull? he sugested using the form making product called "pour mold" but we can go in to that later if you'd like?

Top Bottom