Honda co. oil, is it really that crucial I use it?

Red Ryder

Mar 14, 2007
The man at my Honda shop said that it's best to use Honda oil in my Honda dirt bike. :whoa: He really presses it, is he just trying to make a few extra bucks, or is that oil really better? Same with coolant too, I know I should use the right coolant but do I have to use THE Honda coolant and oil? :think:

Does anybody know, thanks.

Jordan

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Nope, that oil isn't really better, there are many excellent oils on the market. Honda people just like to push Honda oils. The same goes for the other brands as well. Find a dirt rider in the shop somewhere and ask what s/he uses. My Kawi dealer recommended Bel-Ray 75 for my 2-strokes.

There are many opinions on here as well, you just have to search them out.

Red Ryder

Mar 14, 2007
Ok, thanks for the info. I always have used Honda oil, just because the man I reffered to is a older, seasoned dirt bike pro thats been doing it his whole life. I just suspected he new what he was talking about.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I use Honda oil in my Honda only because it's cheaper than most aftermarket oils. GN4 is $4 a quart and most aftermarket oils start at $7 for non-synthetics. Lubrication related failures in motorcycle transmissions are rare, regardless of the oil used. For the coolant, use anything designed for aluminum engines (phosphate free).

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…