vipros

Nov 3, 2002
After changing the fork oil (removing the legs) is there a procedure for tightning the triple clamp pinch bolts to avoid binding in the fork travel? It seems I have this problem on my 93 cr 250.

shifting

~SPONSOR~
Mar 5, 2003
If you have a manual for your bike it will tell you the torque and if there is a certain pattern. If not, just start by tightning them slowly. I would say the most important thing is to make sure you do not over torque the bolts. If your forks are binding like you say, I would guess your over tightning them.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Tighten the top clamps first (on both tubes), then the lower clamps (torque should be less than the top clamps by a couple pounds, then the axle, then the pinch bolts. I usually bounce the front end and spin the wheel/hit the brake a few times before torquing the pinch bolts to get the fork tubes unbound.

Last edited:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I hesitated to give torques as I didn't know if they were different than 2000-2002. My manuals give 16, 14, 14 and 65 respectively. Are you using those on your 02 Faded or are those specific to the 93? Reason I ask, I have been tempted to go lighter on the lower pinch bolts.

Thanks

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Aaagh, I was wrong...I was trying to go off memory and I couldn't remember if it was 16 & 14 or 14 & 12. This was for my 02 CR250. I did 14 & 12 on mine because I used a dab of antiseize on the threads. I've ridden about 2 hrs and checked them and they're still on. I would think you could go lighter on the lower ones without any problems. As far as torque values for a 93, I'm not sure, but would imagine they would be close if they use the inverted forks?!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom