mladewig

Mar 2, 2004
howdy all, i am new here so please be patient.. :joke:
I recently got a Cr250 2002. I need to replace the front fork seal which should not be a problem. The question I have is what weight fork oil should I use? My weight is around 136lbs and I am a novice rider.
Also does anyone have any tips before I go pulling my front shocks apart?

thanks

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Have you got the stock suspension? I read elsewhere the hot setup would be Motorex 2.5w in the inner chanber and Mobil 1 0-30 in the spring chamber. The last may seem strange but I have been hanging around people who got CRF450s and they explained to me the oil in the spring chamber also takes care of the oil lock ring (hydraulic botom out circuit, last inch of travel) and one flaw of the stock Showa forks from Honda is the lock rings let too much oil flow and this translates to a hard botomming fork. When using the thicker Mobil 1 0-30 in the spring chamber, these guys report a major difference in bottoming resistance. I don't know the recommended oil volume for your particular bike though.

mladewig

Mar 2, 2004
Thanks.. I think I will just stick with 5wt oil, dont need to get to fancy. The suspension is still stock and I have not had any problems with them bottoming out.
Time to go and get dirty.. :-)

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
You will need some special tools for the job: a special 50mm spanner and a 47mm seal driver. At your weight I would start with a lower oil volume. It is easier to add more than to remove oil. I'd start with 370cc.

mladewig

Mar 2, 2004
Thanks, I will try your recomendation of 370cc oil. Like you say easier to add than to remove. I should be tackling my forks next week, so wish me luck :=>

Top Bottom