hone / no hone?

dddford

Dec 10, 2004
I am getting ready to replace the piston in my '96 kdx200. Do I need to hone the cylinder? I have been told by another kdx owner not to. Just clean it up and put in the new cylinder.

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
Check your manual, I do not think the cylinder for that year was honable. Some kind of elecrtofusion plating or something.?

billc

Mar 13, 2004
Don't hone it! If you do you will screw up the plating.
Honing is for the older engines with cast iron cylinders.

2wheeler

Dec 9, 2004
I have a 99 kdx and it is nickel plated. Can't bore or hone. Infacted if wore will have to replate and yes gets into some money. I'm not sure what year they started plating but it was around 96. If you do have plating and it needs repating and you love your bike and plan on keeping it for a good while you can sleve it. Then it can be bored and honed.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Uummmmm, when I did my last top end, my mechanic ran a honing brush thru the cylinder briefly, saying that he was just 'cleaning' it up quickly and to put a 'cross-pattern' on it. Seems to me that as long as there isn't a need for re-plating, a quick zip w/a hone shouldn't be a problem. If it's been a while since you plated it, or you've had it for more than a year or two, you may want to get it replated. Also depends on how many pistons you've put in it between platings.

2wheeler

Dec 9, 2004
You proably right. But briefly is the key word. As far as me this will be the 2nd year. I still have good compression so I plan on tareing down this summer and see what I got

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I use scotchbrite on my KX cylinder. It is strong enough to clean it up, but doesn't damage the plating.

libskater

Sep 26, 2003
scotchbrite is alright but honing is a no no... i have a 91 and its plated so im sure yours is. honing will bring about huge problems you dont want

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
KX02 said:
I use scotchbrite on my KX cylinder. It is strong enough to clean it up, but doesn't damage the plating.

Same here. Just a light swipe and nothing much more.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…