B

Jun 29, 2000
Hi KDX'ers

Well Ive had the 89 KDX200SR with airbox and pipe mods for about 3 years (don't seem like it). Well she's getting kinda tried now and Im looking for another bike that fills the gap but with a little (or a lot) more poke. Ive been looking at RMX250's but I just don't trust Suzuki and Im leaning towards a CRM250AR.

I love my 2 smokes and have never owned a 4 smoker off roader but I like the idea of less maintenance. What do you guys think? Im just into fast trailing and don't really want a full on competition bike, oh and KTM's are god damn ugly things so that excludes them.

Thanks for your time.

B

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
I would highly suggest lookin into a post 96 RMX250. The best 2 stroke trail bike! The earlier years were OK, but for 96 they had great forks and a decent shock, and pretty good power to boot! As far as reliability goes, they won't last like the 89-94 200's but they last!
:)

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
The main problem replacing a KDX with an MXer is the transmission. Mxers have a very close ratio box --which is exactly what you want if you are racing on a track. If you're trail riding with some tight stuff then some fire roads you can't gear for both situations. You'll either be under or over geared. IMF used to sell wide ratio gearsets for both a KX [and I have it] and a CR but both have been discontinued. KTM's off road bikes have the wide ratio box so that's a serious consideration. Some of the larger 4 strokes have so much torque that you can gear them high and still go slow,

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
All my friends ride Yamaha WR426's. These are very fast 4 strokers. They are basically a YZ426F but with a wide ratio 5 speed tranny, headlight, tail light, and kick stand. The only things I don't like are they have a 39" seat height, only 5 gears, and a real hard seat! They also weigh about 250 lbs. Wait for the new 450's!! They only weigh 230 lbs. and rev to 11000 rpm with the top end power of the ktm 250 2-stroke and a lot more low end. You can ride 'em like a 2-stroke if you want, or a 4-stroke. They only have 4 gears though. I don't know if they'll put 5 gears in the WR version. Check out the November and December issue of Motocross magazine for reviews on the YZ450F. I would think they would come out with a WR version like they did on the 426.

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
Well if you're thinking of a thumper a DRZ400 would be a cheaper alternative to a WR400/426/450, and it has electric start (worth the weight!). WR's have (in general) better suspension valving stock than the DRZ, but once you get a drz properly sprung for your weight (very soft as stock) they are superior quality components; forks are best conventional's i've ever used for trails.
Stock to stock, the WR426/450 are more powerful and better suspended than the drz; better suited for a faster and aggressive rider. DRZ is more durable (motor-wise) and they can really rip if you put some time into them.
Wieght also becomes a factor though; although the WR's are technically "lighter" then a drz they don't really feel like it. Drz carries wieght very low, a good thing, especially in the tight trails we all just adore. :)
I am a bit biased though, i guess; I have an 01 drz400e. I really like it and wouldn’t trade it for anything because it is perfect for the type of riding I do; all types of trails.
My 89 KDX is a very fun bike as well, but in the power department it isn’t really even close to pretty much any 400+ cc thumper.
Try searching thumpertalk.com in the drz/wr forums for “wr v.s drz” and you will get more info than you can shake a stick at. ;)

B

Jun 29, 2000
I like the sound of the DRz but they seem to be fetching a lot of money here in the UK, and I think they are gonna be just outside my budget. Why o why don't kawasaki do a 300cc KDX.

B

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Several companies have a 300 kit for the KX here in the states but then you have that close ratio gearbox. If you could live with the gears, I've heard that the KX 300 is one mean machine. With the added torque, you could pull higher gearing. Ever try a KX 500?? No offense but the DRs are absolute turds to ride. If you spend the $$$$$$$ to make them rideable, you could have purchased a KTM and been way ahead.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
^^ Yeah, sounds like you might want to re-think the 'look' of the KTM. A 200-250 EXC seems to be the perfect match for what you're wanting. It's a shame there isn't a 2-stroke WR anymore...

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
If you look at the KTM 250 EXC - put another seat on it right off the bat. That thing is ROCK hard and will give you major pains!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rode my buddies for 15minutes and came back hurting.

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
Go with a Gas Gas. More linear power than a KTM and they are said to turn like nothing else. You also get all the good stuff like aluminium bars and hydrolic clutch and nickel plated KX style perimeter frame. Take your pick 125, 200, 250, or 300.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom