RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)- 5-5 ,165 pounds
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?-moderately, it depends where I ride
3) what do you plan to ride- MX, trails
4) Do you have any riding experience?-Yes, 5 months on a learner bike, and 8 months on my RM85L.
5) Do you think you will race ?- 60-70% sure
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?- yes, and I have a private shop to refer to if I don't
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice(2 or 4 stroke)- I am leaning towards the 4 stroke a little
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?- suzuki, ktm, kawasaki, honda
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $2000- $3000
10) Do you live in California?- no
11) Your age?- 14. I will probably be 15 when I get the bike
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion- The 2 main bikes I am leaning towards is the ktm SX250F, or the sx144. yep, I think I am going to go orange. Any body that has an opinion, please tell me what you think I should get. thank you :cool:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
if you want a KTM, buy a KTM. I think you will be pleased with either one, but make sure you do proper day-to-day maintenance or you could be disappointed in your choice.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
XRpredator said:
if you want a KTM, buy a KTM. I think you will be pleased with either one, but make sure you do proper day-to-day maintenance or you could be disappointed in your choice.

When should I adjust my valves(in the 250)? Also I probably won't be riding the bike to hard, so when should I do the top end(In the 250)? thanks :cool:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
You might have an easier time finding a used YZ 250F or CRF 250R in your price range since they have been around a little longer. Plus the KTM's generally cost a little more anyways.

As for valves, I check my 250F's every 10 hours, or sooner, if the bike ever gets hard to start. You only need to adjust the valves if the clearances aren't within the range in the manual. My husband and I have been on four-strokes since 2001-2002, and knock on wood, we have never needed to reshim a valve. Now that I say that, I'm sure we will this year LOL! Checking the valves on out CRF's this weekend.

Top ends, we usually do rings every 30 hours or so, and a top end every other time. Not sure if that's waiting too long, or doing it too soon, but it has worked for us.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom