that looks like the top of a stove?or just plain flat
on top?being the curved wire looking.
And how big of one like 14 inches?
Thanks overbore.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
overbore.

You might want to look into getting a butane torch. A hot plate works pretty good but, it takes a LONG TIME to heat cases up on a hot plate.

You can pick up a butane torch setup at your local hardware store for very little money. They work much faster than a hot plate. Just be sure to keep the open flame away from seals and o-rings and heat the cases evenly.

Just my $ .02. :thumb:

Ol'89r

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
I already have a torch,but would like something alittle
safer and that will heat it up more evenly.I have been
told by someone awhile back a hot plate at a meet,but
didnt ask what kind to buy.Still would like to know if
anyone uses one and what kind.
Thanks for the response ol89r.
overbore.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I use a small toaster oven. They are dirt cheap, and heat the cases quickly. I heat one at a time. And even though the door doesn't close, it only takes a few minutes to heat. The best part is since I have it out in the garage I don't have my wife chasing me down the street with a frying pan because I stunk up her kitchen again!

Mar 18, 2004
I have to ask...
What is such a heater used for? What purpose does it serve? I know some cars have an electrical outlet here in Canada where you plug it in and it keeps the oil in the engine nice and warm, allowing your car to start in a cold -35C morning. Is this the same idea for bikes? If so, can you not improvise a car block heater to work on a bike?

With each day I browse the forum here I learn something new. That's why I keep coming back :)

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
I use the oven for all my case and bearing expansion projects. Preheat to 350 and let the cases sit in there for 10-15 minutes and you'll be good to go. It can stink up the house though.

The process of heating the cases and freezing the bearings allow you to put the cold contracted bearing into a hot expanded case.

Although, I suppose you could pull the motor and heat it to keep the oil warm. :laugh:

Mar 18, 2004
Oh, I get it now. Cool, using basic physics to accomplish a task that can be a bitch without some ingenuity.
Makes sense. Say, would a hair drier set to high and facing the plates for some 5 minutes not do it? Those hair driers can get pretty damn hot and I'm sure it would still be safe on the rubber, since there's no open flames. Just a thought.

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
I would say no a hairdryer is not enough heat. A heat gun may work though...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…